Cod Liver oil - [Health article]

  • Rahul D
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2009
      Good Day Brothers and Sisters,
      Its Monday, 25th May 2009

      The Health Benefits of Cod Liver Oil
      and Fish Oil

      By Ben Kim, D.C.

      One of the best additions that my wife and I have made to our diets
      over the past few years has been cod liver oil.

      Why has cod liver oil become a permanent part of our
      healthy food plan?

      It is one of the most reliable and concentrated food sources of
      four nutrients that are essential to your health:

      DHA,
      EPA,
      vitamin A, and
      vitamin D.

      These four nutrients are needed for:
      • Healthy skin
      • Strong bones and teeth
      • Healthy joints
      • A healthy cardiovascular system
      • A healthy nervous system and prevention of depression
      • and other mood disorders
      • A healthy lining for your digestive tract

      DHA is a fatty acid that is essential to the health of
      your nervous system and eyes. It is vital to preventing depression.

      If you suffer from intermittent or chronic depression,
      this is one nutrient that you want to get every single day.
      If you want to get pregnant or are pregnant, you need to eat foods
      with DHA on a regular basis in order to support proper development
      of your baby’s nervous system and prevent depression
      during pregnancy and after the baby arrives.

      I am convinced that the vast majority of cases of post partum
      (after delivery) depression can be avoided just by taking
      cod liver oil each day.

      EPA is a fatty acid that promotes a healthy cardiovascular system
      and decreases inflammation throughout your body.

      Its anti-inflammatory properties makes EPA especially helpful
      to people who suffer with arthritis.
      EPA is also closely linked with your emotional health,
      with many studies showing that it plays a strong role
      in preventing depression.

      Vitamin A is necessary for proper vision, healthy skin, and
      strong mucosal linings, including the lining of your digestive tract.

      Many skin and digestive disorders cannot fully heal without a
      reliable supply of vitamin A.

      Vitamin D is essential to maintaining strong bones and teeth.

      It enhances the strength and efficiency of your immune system,
      which decreases your risk of developing autoimmune conditions.

      Vitamin D helps your body regulate its blood sugar levels,
      playing an important role in preventing type II diabetes.

      Finally, vitamin D is one of several nutrients that are necessary
      for preventing high blood pressure.

      My wife and I use a lemon flavoured variety of cod liver oil made by
      Carlson Labs. For the past twenty years, Carlson has been providing
      exceptionally high quality cod liver oil by using only cod that are
      harvested from clean arctic waters off the coast of northern Norway.
      These cold ocean waters contain the ideal nutrients for the growth
      of healthy cod, rich in the nutrients mentioned above.

      During the fishing season, cod are gathered and brought to the
      fishery everyday, where workers immediately remove the liver oil
      from the liver tissues. Many other types of cod liver oil are not made
      on a daily basis because they come from cod that are caught
      by large boats which are out on the ocean for 1-2 weeks,
      making it impossible to make as fresh a product.

      This is an important point, as the freshness and nutritional content of
      cod liver oil depends largely on how quickly the oil is removed from
      the liver tissue.

      Carlson uses a special steam extraction process that produces a
      super high quality oil that doesn’t have a bad taste or smell like some
      other varieties. As soon as the oil is produced, it is put into 2.5 ton
      containers that have nitrogen pumped into them.

      Nitrogen is necessary to remove any oxygen in the containers,
      another important step that is taken to maximize freshness,
      as oxygen can damage the valuable fatty acids in cod liver oil.

      Ultimately, purified cod liver oil that is rich in nutrients and
      naturally occurring antioxidants is bottled in Norway and
      nitrogen-sealed, which ensures that there is no air in the oil or bottle.
      Many other providers of cod liver oil have it shipped to the U.S.
      in large drums, to be bottled later to save on costs.

      Having the cod liver oil bottled in Norway is another step taken
      to ensure freshness, eliminating the potential for problems that could
      come up during storage or shipping.

      I appreciate that Carlson Cod Liver Oil is regularly tested using
      AOAC international protocols for purity and potency by an
      independent, FDA registered laboratory.

      These tests regularly confirm that Carlson Cod Liver Oil is
      free of detectable levels of mercury, cadmium, lead, PCB’s and
      28 other contaminants.

      If you are anxious about the taste, not to worry.
      Carlson Cod Liver Oil has a natural lemon flavour added to it,
      which makes it totally fine to take before or during your meals.
      We prefer to take it right before lunch or dinner in order to facilitate
      optimal assimilation of the healthy fats and fat-soluble vitamins
      in the foods that we eat.

      If you’re thinking about taking capsules instead of the liquid,
      I highly encourage you to try the liquid for a month.
      Through my own experimenting and observing my patients
      over the years, I have found that taking the pure liquid produces superior results compared to taking gel capsules.

      Please note: For most people, a safe dosage of cod liver oil is
      approximately two teaspoons per day.

      Two teaspoons will provide you with the following:

      Nutrients in 2 teaspoons of Carlson Cod Liver Oil
      DHA (DocosaHexaenoic Acid)1000 to 1180 mg
      EPA (EicosaPentaenoic Acid)680 to 1000 mg
      ALA (Alpha-Linolenic Acid)80 to 100 mg
      Vitamin A1600 IU
      Vitamin D800 IU
      Vitamin E (natural d-alpha tocopherol and mixed tocopherols)20 IU

      If you want to take more than two teaspoons per day,
      I recommend that you visit your doctor or a laboratory where you can
      have your vitamin D status tested.

      Having too much vitamin D in your blood can be harmful
      to your health.

      ============ ========= ======
      Your  comments and feedbacks always welcome .. Rahul, B-)
      at Cybugle@yahoo. com as well as at bruntno1@yahoo. com
      ++++++++++++ +++++++++ +++++++
      ++++++++++++ +++++++++ +++++++
      Working for God on earth does not pay much,
      but His Retirement plan is out of this world.
      Help someone have a nice day,

      With best wishes,

      A D V E R T I S E

      Your Conference, Workshop, Lectures all around the world

      Every shot Rs. 1000.00

      Monthly e-mails at Rs. 3000/= (one email a week)

      Footer message: Rs. 2500/= per month

      For Details send email to:  events.updates6@...