India in Pakistan 2006

  • MURAD BANA
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2006
      India in Pakistan 2006
      January

      7-9 v Pakistan A, Lahore
      14-18 1st Test, Lahore
      22-26 2nd Test, Faisalabad
      30-3 Feb 3rd Test, Karachi

      February

      6 1st ODI, Rawalpindi
      8 2nd ODI, Peshawar
      13 3rd ODI, Lahore
      16 4th ODI, Multan
      21 5th ODI, Karachi

      =======
      PCB keen to host Asia Cup in September 2006

      Samiul Hasan | December 29, 2005 22:51 IST

      Apprehending legal action, the Pakistan Cricket Board is keen to host the postponed Asia Cup next year in September when all the teams would be available for participation.
      The PCB is apparently under pressure to review its stand on the regional competition since the official broadcasters have threatened to sue them for damages.
      "The broadcasters have paid nearly half the money as guarantee. If the Asia Cup is not hosted, the ACC and all the four members would be taken to court because the postponement of the Asia Cup was not ACC's decision but a decision taken by India and Pakistan," sources in the PCB said.
      PCB's Director (Board Operations) Saleem Altaf said a final decision on the hosting of Asia Cup would be taken during the meeting of Asian Cricket Council in New Delhi on January 3 and 4.
      "First day is the Finance Committee meeting while on the second day we will discuss about the possibility of having the postponed Asia Cup in 2006," he said.
      PCB Chairman Shaharyar Khan is keen to host the tournament in September but some of the Board officials are not supportive of the idea, saying September would be too hot and the home series against Zimbabwe would also be round the corner.
      The Asia Cup was originally slated to be held in February but PCB agreed to scrap the tournament in view of Indian cricket team's tight schedule. The Indians are slated to host England immediately after the conclusion of their tour of Pakistan.
      Meanwhile, PCB confirmed it had swapped the venues of first two one-day internationals against India on the advice of Interior Ministry but said rest of the tour schedule would remain unaffected.
      "The venues of the first two one-dayers have been swapped on the advice of the Interior Ministry in view of Moharram. But rest of the tour schedule and start of the opening match are unaffected," PCB's Director (Board Operations) Saleem Altaf said.
      Instead of Peshawar, Rawalpindi will host the first one-dayer on February 6 while Peshawar will stage the second game on February 8.
      "We have signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Indian Board officials that clearly indicates that the tour will start from January 7 while the first one-dayer will be at Rawalpindi and the second at Peshawar. So I don't think there should be any more confusion," Altaf said.
      © Copyright 2005 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.

      -

      ----
      Mahmood questions county schedule
      Azhar Mahmood
      Azhar Mahmood playing for Surrey in the 2005 Twenty20 Cup
      Surrey all-rounder Azhar Mahmood says county cricket is too intense and takes too much out of the players.
      The Pakistani told BBC Sport: "It's not easy playing county cricket if you play six months throughout without a rest.
      "It's very difficult as there's lots of cricket with no break in between. County cricket is badly scheduled."
      Mahmood missed the first half of the 2005 season for Surrey with a shin injury - the club suffered in his absence and were eventually relegated.
      The 2006 summer will be Mahmood's fifth at The Brit Oval and he is by now well versed in the wear and tear of the English domestic game.
      He said: "If you're a bowler or a batsman it's OK but it's very difficult for the all-rounders because we have to bowl and bat.
      "I'm definitely playing for Surrey next year. I am going to the gym already to work really hard for next summer.
      "I'm really strong and am working hard on those parts where I have been struggling."
      Mahmood, a fringe player in the Pakistan national set-up, added: "If Pakistan call me for the India series I am ready to play for them too."

      MURAD ALI BANA
      Aga Khan University,
      Phone office: (92 21) 486-4759 (working days only)
      After office hours:
      Residence:  (92 21) 670-2240; Cell: 0334-3056757