Does skipping breakfast lower blood sugar?

(6267)
  • MURAD BANA
    Oct 9, 2013 Expand Messages

      2 Days Diabetes Newsletter

      Get the latest news, recipes, articles and more to help you Live Well with Diabetes
      Make sure our emails arrive safely! Add Live_Well@... and rdoffers@... to your address book.
       October 8, 2013
      subscribe
      facebook
      pinterest

      Breakfast: Skip or Savor?

      Q. My blood sugar sky-rockets in the morning. Shouldn’t I skip breakfast to bring it down?
      A. For some people with diabetes, blood sugar tends to be high in the morning because as dawn approaches, the body starts releasing energizing hormones. These antagonize the action of insulin and stimulate the liver to produce more glucose, even if the glucose level in the blood is already abnormally high.
      Will eating make it rise even higher? Probably, but because breakfast is so important for weight loss and proper nutrition, you should make eating breakfast a priority and find other ways to deal with the “dawn phenomenon.”
      Be sure to try these too-tasty-to-skip breakfast quickies.
      Here's to living well!
      Quick Calorie-Saving Tip:
      Add hot pepper to your meals! Capsaicin, the ingredient that makes peppers spicy, is known to reduce appetite.
      YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
      Heart Disease: 3 Ways to Attack Your Risk
      Check-in with Cardiologist Joel K. Kahn, MD as he explains the smartest ways to approach heart disease prevention and minimize your risk. Read More
      7 Healthy (Chocolate!) Diabetic Desserts
      Dark chocolate can actually be good for your blood sugar. Enjoy these decadent desserts in moderation. Read More
      Save Up to 50% When You Shop Our Store
      Visit the Reader's Digest Store to browse a selection of health, diet, diabetes, and wellness books. Enjoy up to 50% off on select titles. Shop Now
      Are Toxic Chemicals Making You Fat?
      Evidence links commonly-used household plastics and chemicals to obesity and the results are disturbing... More
       Follow us on

      Picture