Re: [psychiatry-research] Article: Mind Over Matter - Alternative Therapies Affect Experience Of Chronic Pain

  • Morten Hesse
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
      Why is it mind over matter that if you focus, the pain is reduced.
      Isn't it mind over mind? I didn't think pain was "matter". I thought
      it was a mental experience.
      Greetings,
      Morten

      Morten Hesse
      Center for Alcohol and Drug Research
      Købmagergade 26E, 2.
      1150 Copenhagen K
      Denmark
      Sent by Medscape Mail: Free Portable E-mail for Professionals on the Move
      http://www.medscape.com
    • Jim Goodwin

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
          It's an electro-chemical brain function. Functional MRIs can measure the
          degree of pain that a person reports. This has been demonstrated with
          several different types of pain.

          Joe Persinger
          Santa Rosa, CA

          on 9/1/06 1:02 AM, Morten Hesse at hesse@... wrote:

          > Why is it mind over matter that if you focus, the pain is reduced.
          > Isn't it mind over mind? I didn't think pain was "matter". I thought
          > it was a mental experience.
          > Greetings,
          > Morten
          >

          > Morten Hesse
          > Center for Alcohol and Drug Research
          > Købmagergade 26E, 2.
          > 1150 Copenhagen K
          > Denmark
          > Sent by Medscape Mail: Free Portable E-mail for Professionals on the Move
          > http://www.medscape.com
        • Jim Buck
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
            when you get right down to it, in this universe what is not matter?
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2006
              Jim has it right: if everything can be matter, then everything can
              also be mind. It becomes very philosophical, but OK. You can argue for
              a hardcore reductionist understanding of psychological phenomena of
              some sort (e.g., behaviouristic or biological reductionism), but you
              will find yourself in trouble a number of times: how do you account
              for the ability of people and animals to handle complex situations?
              How do you account for language? Well, the answer is of course, you
              can state that such phenomena have not yet been understood fully, but
              once we know everything about every protein, every genetic factor, and
              every relevant enviromental factor, we will be able to describe how
              the system called "language" emerges.
              Until then, we have to study a number of phenomena - even if they have
              neurological correlates - such as decision making, emotional
              reactions, language, thinking, relationships - as if they were not
              only matter. Does that mean having to give up a scientific world view:
              not for me. I think such complex systems can emerge from simpler
              processes, even if there is much we need to know about how they
              emerge, and that at the end of the day, we will never be able to
              reduce psychological (and cultural, social, political economical)
              phenomena to biology.