Re: [psychiatry-research] Essay Note: "Here are my thoughts on Life"

  • Jim Goodwin
    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 6, 2013
      "My momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."--- Forrest Gump

      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 8, 2013
        Roger,
        I am not the least bit interested in furthering this adversial thread but I do have a question that I don't think will engender controversy. Can you indicate what the underlying property or properties that Indo- European languages have that make it easier to form abstract nouns? If I am not presuming too much, can you give an example of a language where this is not the case and highlight the relevant underlying differences with Indo-European languages?

        Thank you,
        Fred

        On 08/03/2013 9:19 AM, Roger Lass wrote:

        If one can show that, yes. I think I have nothing more to contribute to this particular discussion. Or at least I don’t seem to have been able to make my point clear, and I don’t want to get into a long polemic (which we’re approaching). We seem to be facing each other across a semipermeable wall. If I can figure out a clearer way to say what I mean that I feel has a better chance of convincing you I’ll open it up again. For now, judging from the responses, this is becoming rather gladiatorial, and the list shouldn’t be made to watch our performance. So let’s agree for now that neither of us can fully convince the other.

        RL