Schizophrenia - drugs that ease a tormented mind

  • Ian Pitchford
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2001
      THE TIMES
      THURSDAY AUGUST 02 2001

      Medical briefing

      Schizophrenia - drugs that ease a tormented mind

      BY DR THOMAS STUTTAFORD

      My chief in one of my first hospital appointments had, during an earlier stage
      in his medical career, helped to look after Louis Wain, the well-known painter
      of cats. Wain was a schizophrenic patient whose pictures, recently exhibited at
      the Leicester Galleries, London, reflected the disturbed state of his psyche.

      Unfortunately, as his disease progressed, so did his grasp on reality diminish
      and his intellect crumble. Wain had been an enormously popular painter before
      his illness. He continued to paint in hospital, but the images became more
      distorted. It was of constant interest to the junior hospital staff that the
      more eulogistic the critics became, the worse was his schizophrenia.

      Recent research using functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) shows that,
      on looking at a picture, there are differences between the brain activity of
      those who have a genuine (as opposed to assumed) appreciation of modern art and
      the rest of the population. Similar patterns are observed in modern artists and
      the majority of critics. Conversely, the majority of people — those whose
      tastes, for instance, tend to run to 18th and 19th-century watercolours,
      together with present-day figurative artists — have a different response.

      Full text:
      http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,703-2001264019,00.html