Re: [psychiatry-research] Adults suffer 'problem child' illness

  • L. Eugene Arnold
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2001
      I guess we shouldn't be surprised that the British seem 29 years late (once
      more) in discovering that ADHD can persist into adulthood. After all, it
      took over 100 years for the British admiralty to finally put limes on
      British navy ships after the antiscorbutic value of citrus fruit had been
      demonstrated scientifically (by an Englishman). Maybe 29 yr. is an
      improvement; they're speeding up. Incidentally, the article below was
      rejected by Lancet in 1971 before being accepted and published by JAMA in 1972.
      Arnold, L.E., Strobl, D. & Weisenberg, A.: Hyperkinetic adult: Study of
      the paradoxical amphetamine response. Journal of the American Medical
      Association 222, 693694, l972.
      Gene A.

      At 07:15 AM 3/31/01 +0100, Ian Pitchford wrote:
      >THE TIMES
      >SATURDAY MARCH 31 2001
      >
      >British Psychological Society
      >
      >Adults suffer 'problem child' illness
      >
      >BY ALEXANDRA FREAN, SOCIAL AFFAIRS CORRESPONDENT
      >
      >MORE than a million adults in Britain could be suffering from a behavioural
      >disorder commonly associated with children and often characterised by
      >antisocial and criminal tendencies, according to research.
      >
      >Susan Young, a leading forensic science psychologist at the Institute of
      >Psychiatry who set up the country's first clinic for adults with attention
      >deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), told the British Psychological Society
      >centenary meeting in Glasgow that there was a danger in believing that the
      >condition was something that children grew out of.
      >
      >Full text:
      >http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2-107885,00.html

      L. Eugene Arnold, M.Ed., M.D.
      Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry, Ohio State U.
      479 S. Galena Rd.
      Sunbury, OH 43074
      Voice: 740-965-1005 (614-292-9780 on Wed. or Fri. AM, sometimes
      614-688-3848)
      Fax: 740-965-4425 (no cover sheet, please)