Re: Downer Folk

  • James Mc Laughlin
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2009
      Seems pretty scary to me. Just imagine yourself waking up some morning and you are at the same place in your life as Dave Bixby was at then.

      Where do you go from there? Seems like there is nowhere to go (unless the mind eventually heals itself), just day after day in the same empty lonely desert. To me, thats something scary to contemplate.

      I know "living in the Eternal Now" has been lauded as something wonderful. Thats all well and good if the sun is up, but it seems Dave Bixby landed on the "Dark Side of the Eternal Now".

      Incidentally, I did some more googling and it turns out DB was a member of a strange religious cult called The Movement - see here for more (was there discussion of this some time back?):
      http://allegory-of-allergies.blogspot.com/2008/08/dave-bixby-ode-to-quetzalcoatl-1969.html

      One of the members, Al Perrin, has written a book about it,
      http://www.booklocker.com/books/1371.html

      The first chapter is online at
      http://assets.booklocker.com/pdfs/1371s.pdf

      --- In psychedelica@yahoogroups.com, "cptmarryat" <cptmarryat@...> wrote:

      > --- In psychedelica@yahoogroups.com, "James Mc Laughlin" <clashton@> wrote:
      > >
      > > This has to be one of the scariest downer folk tracks of them all:
      > >
      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0HzNePL-XM
      > >
      > sorry; didn't find this too scary or gripping, and musically speaking, like a lot of folk, a bit boring! Interesting subject though, something I know all about (to be honest), but I've been sober for more than six years now, and 90% of the time life is one big upper.....
      > Peace & love Haaken

    • richard_iwanicki
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2009
        I was recently fortunate enough to find New Age - All Around, the Pat Kilroy LP on Warner that never came out. Raymond Dumont released it on RD. Stunning LP, I thought it might just be 'of historical interest' - but it's of considerable musical interest too. The title track is an all-time killer, the rest is great too, it is way ahead of its time (in a good way), very innovative. Uplifting too, so when you've 'bled out' from Bixby, turn on to Kilroy!

        --- In psychedelica@yahoogroups.com, "James Mc Laughlin" <clashton@...> wrote:

        > Seems pretty scary to me. Just imagine yourself waking up some morning and you are at the same place in your life as Dave Bixby was at then.
        >
        > Where do you go from there? Seems like there is nowhere to go (unless the mind eventually heals itself), just day after day in the same empty lonely desert. To me, thats something scary to contemplate.
        >
        > I know "living in the Eternal Now" has been lauded as something wonderful. Thats all well and good if the sun is up, but it seems Dave Bixby landed on the "Dark Side of the Eternal Now".
        >
        > Incidentally, I did some more googling and it turns out DB was a member of a strange religious cult called The Movement - see here for more (was there discussion of this some time back?):
        > http://allegory-of-allergies.blogspot.com/2008/08/dave-bixby-ode-to-quetzalcoatl-1969.html
        >
        > One of the members, Al Perrin, has written a book about it,
        > http://www.booklocker.com/books/1371.html
        >
        > The first chapter is online at
        > http://assets.booklocker.com/pdfs/1371s.pdf
        >
        > --- In psychedelica@yahoogroups.com, "cptmarryat" <cptmarryat@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In psychedelica@yahoogroups.com, "James Mc Laughlin" <clashton@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > This has to be one of the scariest downer folk tracks of them all:
        > > >
        > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0HzNePL-XM
        > > >
        > > sorry; didn't find this too scary or gripping, and musically speaking, like a lot of folk, a bit boring! Interesting subject though, something I know all about (to be honest), but I've been sober for more than six years now, and 90% of the time life is one big upper.....
        > > Peace & love Haaken

      • James Mc Laughlin
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2009
          Thanks for the info.

          It sounds really excellent, also based on some reviews I found on the web.

          RD is the man, when it comes to digging up lost obscurities.

          --- In psychedelica@yahoogroups.com, "richard_iwanicki" <richard_j_iwanicki@...> wrote:

          > I was recently fortunate enough to find New Age - All Around, the Pat Kilroy LP on Warner that never came out. Raymond Dumont released it on RD. Stunning LP, I thought it might just be 'of historical interest' - but it's of considerable musical interest too. The title track is an all-time killer, the rest is great too, it is way ahead of its time (in a good way), very innovative. Uplifting too, so when you've 'bled out' from Bixby, turn on to Kilroy!

        • Bill Thomson
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
            Been there myself Haaken. It's a pretty damn lonely place. I went one
            day shy of 13 years & started drinking again. Got 2 dui's really quick
            so I stopped again. Been several years now. Blackouts began happening &
            I'd never had them to that extreme before. The drugs I've done & have
            been addicted to are another story yet. I don't find life to be one big
            upper. Never really did after sobering up. Very strange. Even tried AA
            for a lot of years. I miss the action, the friends & the fun.
            Unfortunately the bad outweighs the good so it's not to be. Bill T.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
              I guess if one has been there it's not so scary. It's not scary at the
              time either. It is very lonely though as well as it being a place of
              desperation and with almost no hope. There seems to always be that
              solitary ray of hope that one clings on to. You think you're at the end
              of your rope. At that point there's no place to go but up. That's when
              it all turns around. You find the solution.

              wrote:

              > --- In psychedelica@yahoogroups.com, "James Mc Laughlin" <clashton@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > This has to be one of the scariest downer folk tracks of them all:
              > >
              > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0HzNePL-XM
              > >
              > sorry; didn't find this too scary or gripping, and musically speaking,

              > like a lot of folk, a bit boring! Interesting subject though,
              > something I know all about (to be honest), but I've been sober for
              > more than six years now, and 90% of the time life is one big
              > upper..... Peace & love Haaken

            • cptmarryat
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 8, 2009