Interview with Brian Moss: Information for Therapist and Client Working with DID

  • smartnewsaolcom
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2013
      Interview with Brian Moss: Qualities and Information Useful for a
      Therapist and a Client Working with Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID)

      _http://ritualabuse.us/research/did/interview-with-brian-moss-qualities-and-
      information-useful-for-a-therapist-and-a-client-working-with-dissociative-id
      entity-disorder-did/_
      (http://ritualabuse.us/research/did/interview-with-brian-moss-qualities-and-information-useful-for-a-therapist-and-a-client-workin
      g-with-dissociative-identity-disorder-did/)

      _http://goo.gl/W4a1p_ (http://goo.gl/W4a1p)

      Modified from version originally posted in the Survivorship Journal Vol.
      18, Issue 2 December, 2012 at survivorship.org

      PERSONHOOD

      TOLERANCE FOR AMBIGUITY
      Integrating a trauma narrative, especially if it is the result of
      sophisticated mind control procedures, is a complex and lengthy process where
      subjective states (hypnosis, drugs) and manipulated states (electric shock,
      psychic-driving, sensory deprivation, sleep deprivation) are mixed with
      objective states (veridical memory of ritual/sexual abuse or any other experiences
      meant to terrorize.)

      CAPACITY TO DISSOCIATE
      There is a difference between “forgetting” and “forgetting that you forget
      ”; one insulates us temporarily as we metabolize our experience while the
      other prevents us from fundamentally accessing our experience. The capacity
      to dissociate in a healthy sense allows us to live our lives in spite of
      what we know—to balance the terror of being alive with the wonder of being
      alive. There are so many ways to get derailed: cynicism and anger, despair
      and hopelessness, or the false relief of numbness.

      TOLERANCE FOR ISOLATION
      All of us, survivors and therapists alike, got to where we are in stages.
      Painful truths that do not correspond to what we have been told about the
      world require new understandings that only gradually come into focus. In
      sharing what we have learned and/or remembered, there is deep frustration that
      in telling our most urgent truths we are not believed.

      AT LEAST ONE TRUE “INTIMATE”
      Whether spouse, partner, mentor, friend, find someone that can handle the
      material and understand the larger and hidden truths of what you are
      learning. The reality behind DID is a “through the looking glass” experience and
      is a journey best not taken alone. Therapy is difficult when the client is
      lacking outside support or dealing with an unsympathetic spouse/partner.
      Clients that are still embedded in the deviant social networks responsible
      for their original abuse have an enormous challenge facing them.

      A SUBSTANTIAL DEGREE OF DIFFERENTIATION
      A significant moment in my early childhood occurred while I was watching
      the television adaptation of Orson Welles’ War of the Worlds. There is a
      scene in which the creatures have landed and are zapping everyone. A priest
      comes forth, holds up a bible and is incinerated on the spot. I remember
      thinking, “Are they allowed to do that?” Differentiation from family, religion,
      dominant paradigms of any kind including television, mainstream media, and
      society in general—gives us the ability to think independently and to
      tolerate the withdrawal of approval or ridicule that is often the reaction to
      doing so.

      INTEREST IN CONTROVERSIAL/FORBIDDEN AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE
      Many DIDs have teams of parts that are used to research psychic phenomena.
      These psychic skills are exploited in a variety of contexts including
      military and intelligence work. It was eye-opening for me to see the seriousness
      with which this research is pursued covertly while being overtly ridiculed
      in conventional academic settings.

      ABILITY TO DISCERN DISINFORMATION
      Quality disinformation must contain a high degree of truth or it will be
      rejected outright. The goal of disinformation is to present pieces of the
      truth in a way that leads to the wrong conclusions. The other purpose is
      obfuscation in general. There is an overwhelming amount of disinformation on
      the internet and in our media. Who would have guessed that when Orwell’s “
      Ministry of Truth” finally arrived we would embrace it as “Wikipedia”.

      COURAGE TO FOLLOW THE CLIENT’S LEAD
      Abandoning their clients’ experience in order to preserve their (the
      therapist’s) comfortable view of the world is the same dynamic survivors
      experience at a societal level. Survivors want—and need—to be believed. No-one is
      afraid of the dark itself, they are afraid of what might be in the dark.
      Survivors know what is in the dark. They want to tell their therapists; they
      want to leave the scenes behind; they want to end the dissociation. They
      want—and need—to know it is over. It is essential that therapists do not let
      them down. This takes courage as well as expertise.

      APPRECIATION OF LIFE’S ABSURD MOMENTS IN ORDER TO DEFEND AGAINST CYNICISM
      AND THE NEED TO UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING
      One of my teachers had a story that I heard him tell often. It was a true
      story he read in the newspaper about a man who had given up and climbed a
      bridge preparing to jump. A crowd formed in anticipation of the spectacle
      and the police were called who, in their best manner tried to negotiate with
      and talk the man down. Getting nowhere, running out of ideas and becoming
      increasingly frustrated, one of the officers pulled his gun and threatened
      to shoot the man unless he came down. The man climbed down. It is important
      to understand that not everything can be understood.

      ABILITY TO PERSEVERE IN THE FACE OF SOCIETAL DENIAL
      Judith Herman named it in Trauma and Recovery: “The study of psychological
      trauma has repeatedly led into realms of the unthinkable and foundered on
      fundamental questions of belief.” There will be polarization occurring in
      society as more and more information comes out and more survivors come
      forward. There will be attempts to discredit survivors and to misinform and
      censor content for those seeking information but to no avail. There are too many
      survivors and they will continue to speak their truth in an ever
      increasing chorus.

      A BELIEF SYSTEM THAT ALLOWS FOR EXISTENCE OF THE SPIRITUAL
      Most DID systems contain spiritual guides or transcendents capable of
      guiding the work of healing. DID survivors benefit from therapists who are
      comfortable with these realities. The transcendents, by their very nature, are
      beyond the reach of programming/conditioning and remain untouched by mind
      control techniques much as the Sun does not cease to exist simply because a
      cloud moves in front or the earth revolves.

      BELIEF THAT LIFE HAS MEANING
      In enduring or bearing witness to the desecration of every value the
      belief that life has meaning frames the ability to go forward rather than fall
      into despair. What I have noticed both for myself and the therapists I work
      with is that when we are willing to know, and not turn away from darkness,
      a corresponding light enters our life to help balance and navigate it.

      KNOWLEDGE

      UNDERSTANDING OF SYSTEMS THINKING
      Systems theory addresses the whole, including the relationships of the
      parts of the whole to each other. It does not simply focus on the individual
      parts in isolation. The concept of wholeness, the integrative process, is the
      essence of all psychological growth—not just Dissociative Identity
      Disorder alone. The word “therapy” derives from the Greek word therapeia meaning “
      to heal”; the word “heal” from the Old English word hælan meaning “whole”
      . “Integrate” derives from Latin, integrare, to make whole, from integer,
      complete.

      UNDERSTANDING OF UNCONSCIOUS PROCESS
      In terms of unconscious process there is an important distinction to make
      between repression and dissociation. Traditionally, therapists received
      training in which experience not consciously available was seen to be a kind of
      primitive unconscious regulated largely by primary process thinking and
      regression. (Repressive model) Contrast this with concealed experience and
      memory systems (DID) that are coconscious, where parallel states are existing
      with a variety of levels of development, some more healthy or competent
      than the presenting personality! Knowing the subtleties of unconscious
      perception, and how they are named, informs the therapist and empowers the
      client.

      UNDERSTANDING OF SYMBOLIC LANGUAGE
      Consciously unacceptable material is camouflaged in symbolism. As it is
      metabolized, dissociated information will become more representational and
      less symbolic. When information is transmitted symbolically the degree of
      symbolism used will depend on the tolerance of the system for the material
      being depicted. When the information needs to be defended against, the
      defending alter will either not be present or will filter the 4 information
      symbolically. As integration takes place there is less need for symbolism and both
      dreams and artwork become more representational.

      UNDERSTANDING OF THE TRUE ETIOLOGY OF DID

      Complex DID systems are not simply a response to trauma and stress—even
      horrific trauma such as ritual abuse, though it does have a role to play. Nor
      is it caused iatrogenically by well-meaning therapists attempting to treat
      trauma survivors as Wikipedia would have us believe. DID is mind control,
      intentionally practiced and requiring a great deal of effort and
      conditioning over a period of many years. To develop an elaborate DID system is to
      endure an ongoing medical procedure throughout childhood, one that requires
      clinical settings with access to extensive equipment and pharmaceuticals.

      At the turn of the century there were indeed cases of “split personality.”
      These cases were observed by Pierre Janet in Paris; Breuer and Freud in
      Vienna; F.W.H. Myers in London; and Morton Prince in Boston. These initial
      cases were found to be the result of trauma in childhood but rarely produced
      more than a few alter states and often just one. Childhood incest does not
      lead to elaborate DID systems.

      Modern DID bears no resemblance to these early, primitive cases but is
      instead the outcome of a century of covert research on these dissociative
      states and their successful creation and exploitation.

      This statement has caused the most discussion yet is critical in
      understanding the true causes of present-day Dissociative Identity Disorder. So what
      is Mind Control Programming? I use the concepts programming and mind
      control interchangeably. All DID systems are the result of mind control and
      programming techniques. I want to clarify this statement; it is very important
      and has serious implications. The mind does indeed dissociate naturally
      both in normative contexts (selective attention) and in response to trauma—but
      dissociative states do not self-organize into elaborate systems with the
      levels of complexity that we are seeing today—that is something that
      requires interference from without. Modern cases of DID demonstrate hierarchy and
      are structured to meet a variety of demands. This is never random, or
      entirely a response to trauma, though trauma is used to create and maintain the
      compartmentalization in DID. These parallel conscious states, each
      exhibiting their own conditioning, are what we call alters.

      That DID is manufactured in its present form needs to be acknowledged in
      order to understand features of DID that would not otherwise make sense and
      also to account for the politics of this diagnosis with its troublesome
      implications regarding our world. Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD), now
      known as Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), is the result of a century of
      covert research on these naturally occurring capacities of the mind. This is
      where our field truly “leads into realms of the unthinkable and founders
      on fundamental questions of disbelief.”

      Throughout history, exploitation and control of some members of society by
      others is a continual theme. This control can be subtle, as with the
      manipulation of peoples’ belief systems through propaganda and religious dogma,
      or more direct and heavy-handed as with threats of persecution or violence.
      One of the simplest means of control is to maintain the powerlessness that
      comes with basic poverty/indebtedness or the lack of access to quality
      education. A key dynamic with the more overt forms of control is that when
      people are oppressed—they resist. Advanced forms of control address this
      fundamental dynamic by developing forms of exploitation that remain largely
      outside of conscious awareness both for selected individuals (DID) and the
      larger society (control of the public is achieved through propaganda and the
      manufacture of consent, an increasingly serious threat with the concentration
      of media).

      Mind control evolved from two main foundations:

      1) The Soviet discovery of conditioned reflexes (Pavlov 1903) and
      continued research within the field of behavioral psychology.

      2) Advances in understanding the creation of parallel dissociative states
      with independent memory systems and control mechanisms utilizing research
      in hypnosis and trauma-based splitting of conscious processes.

      UNDERSTANDING THAT EFFORTS TO CREATE DID IN CHILDREN WERE NOT SIMPLY
      EXCESSES OF THE COLD WAR IN THE NAME OF NATIONAL SECURITY
      Disturbing as it is, we must acknowledge the ongoing nature of these
      activities. Clients are sensitive to any backing away by the therapist and are
      reluctant to fully disclose when they fear they won’t be believed. Clearly,
      people who would torture children, for any perceived agenda, are
      sociopathic. What they are after is a type of power that is outside legal or ethical
      constraints and better described as organized crime, no matter the context
      in which it is framed.

      UNDERSTANDING ISSUES RELATING TO ALTERS
      Over-identifying with the innocent child alters and avoiding the mean and
      destructive ones maintains division and conflict within the system.
      Developing a fascination with certain alters, or with the process of switching
      itself, is another way to become triangulated into the system; there is no
      reason to encourage switching— most alter systems can be accessed while keeping
      a sense of co-consciousness with the normative section. DIDs can parallel
      process to an extraordinary degree and this ability can be utilized to
      integrate without losing stability.

      AWARENESS OF BLENDING VS. SWITCHING
      Many clients and therapists expect a more dramatic presentation (switching
      with lost time) and miss important system shifts because the client
      remains co-conscious. When an alter, or programming is behind, alongside or
      blended with the front system, the changing quality of consciousness may present
      more subtly. Most alter movement taking place in a therapist’s office
      (unless the client is severely destabilized) involves blending with no loss of t
      ime.

      DISCERNMENT REGARDING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STABILITY AND INTEGRATION
      The front/normative section is designed to be free from interference and
      highly functioning as long as the covert aspects of the system remain
      unknown and there is compliance with the demands of the programmers/handlers.
      Programming is designed to maintain stability through compartmentalization.
      Paradoxically, it is the more effective therapists, who begin to make inroads
      into the deeper structures, who find themselves inadvertently
      destabilizing their clients. This “success” can trigger programming. (Dissociated
      trauma scenes and conditioned self-destructive behavior.) Overt stability is
      not the same as integration.

      UNDERSTANDING OF DEEPER STRUCTURES OF DID
      While allowing for some variation, most programming follows standard
      protocols. The front/normative section is designed to be free from interference
      and highly functioning as long as the covert aspects of the system remain
      unknown and there is compliance with the demands of the
      programmers/handlers. Many therapists deal with leaking or triggered trauma scenes related to
      sexual abuse and ritual abuse without ever getting to the deeper structures
      and teams involved in covert activities or the programming responsible for
      it. The trauma scenes act like a mine field keeping these deeper structures
      and parts hidden and compartmentalized.

      RECOGNITION OF THE DOUBLE-BIND IN MIND CONTROL
      As with all double-binds the only way out is to acknowledge the bind and
      transcend it. There is no way to resolve the situation if it is accepted as
      presented. The basic feature of false choice programs is: “I stay safe and
      comply with programming/training or I resist and trigger trauma scenes.” It
      is not either/or; alters should be made aware that both sides of the
      dilemma are manipulated and all parts of self can come to the present and be
      free of the demands.

      UNDERSTANDING THE NEED TO WORK “FROM THE OUTSIDE IN”
      Trauma programming is layered. A good visual image to illustrate this
      concept is the children’s game of Mikado or “pick-up-sticks”—the outermost
      sticks must be removed before attempting to move underlying ones. When
      working to dismantle programming any interference encountered must be dealt with
      before proceeding. Not to do so is like pulling a stick from the middle of
      the pile and activating multiple layers of conditioned responses at once—
      something guaranteed to stop any further progress and destabilize the client.

      UNDERSTANDING THAT EMOTIONAL CATHARSIS IS NOT NECESSARY FOR INITIAL MEMORY
      WORK
      There are two basic forms of memory: explicit memory and implicit memory.
      Explicit memory is what most people are referring to when they talk about
      memory; it records consciously available information about past experiences.
      Implicit memory is information that is not consciously available and was
      encoded outside of conscious awareness. Abreaction and triggering can be
      understood in terms of implicit memory. The sense of self and self-control
      that accompanies explicit memory is lost when a trauma memory is an implicit
      recollection. The difference between these two forms of memory must be
      acknowledged to understand the basis of trauma programming.

      AWARENESS OF POSSIBLE SURVIVOR CONTACT AND SABOTAGE BY HANDLERS
      All survivors are monitored internally via programming that is designed to
      force compliance or initiate reporting to programmers/handlers in the
      event of non-compliance. Of greater concern and missed by many therapists is
      that survivors are also often contacted and sabotaged by the people in their
      present life—even survivors well along in their recovery; this includes
      people (often family in generational cults) known to the survivor as well as
      unknown handlers able to access alters outside the awareness of the
      normative personalities.

      A CLOSING STATEMENT FROM BRIAN:
      The chance to share this information with you is my pebble in the pond—
      maybe reaching you on the far shore. Don’t doubt that there are many survivors
      whose voices have been heard, and many therapists who know the truth about
      what is going on in the world; all of us working quietly (or out-loud) to
      make healing possible for each other and to create the world we know is
      possible.

      Brian Moss, MA, MFT is a Clinical Fellow and Approved Supervisor of the
      American Association of Marriage & Family Therapy. He lives in the Seattle
      area and consults widely, specializing in working in partnership with DID
      clients and their therapists.