Day care teacher gets 35 years for sexual assaults on 12 boys

  • A Yahoo! user
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2012
      Ex-teacher gets decades in prison for child molestations
      Monday, January 30, 2012 By Paula Reed Ward, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

      A former teacher at Tender Care Learning Center in Scott pleaded guilty
      to 13 cases involving child molestation and child pornography this
      morning in Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas.

      Matthew K. Byars, 26, was sentenced to 35 to 70 years in prison for his
      actions abusing 12 boys, ranging in age from 6 to 17 years old. He also
      must register for life as a sex offender.

      The families of the boys agreed to the plea deal in part to end the case
      quickly and avoid having them testify.

      "We made an offer that will not victimize these boys any further," said
      Deputy District Attorney Laura Ditka....

      According to Ms. Ditka, Mr. Byars molested seven boys he taught at
      Tender Care, met the cousin of a boy there who he also abused, and
      molested two other boys.

      He befriended the boys at the daycare, as well as their families, and
      often took them on outings, organized pickup hockey games, brought them
      to his church and invited them to sleepovers at his home.

      In some instances, the boys were fondled and photographed or recorded on
      video. In others, they were forced into sex acts or sexually assaulted,
      Ms. Ditka said....

      Speaking briefly, Mr. Byars apologized.

      "I do realize the affect of my actions on so many people," he said. "I
      truly am sorry."
      http://goo.gl/kQ5z2 <http://goo.gl/kQ5z2>

      http://www.postgazette.com/pg/12030/1207008-100.stm

      Tuesday, January 31, 2012
      By Paula Reed Ward, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

      Scrawled across the page in all capital letters, written in the hand of
      a child, the statement read, "I HATE MATT."

      Another boy, in blue ink, wrote to the judge, "I feel sad and lonely.
      But once I see the other kids, I'm not so lonely because I know I'm not
      the only one.

      "But what's the worst is that every morning I wake up, I think of that."

      They were two of 11 boys who sat in the jury box in Allegheny County
      Common Pleas Judge Donna Jo McDaniel's courtroom Monday and listened as
      the prosecution listed each one's case, and the horrific things they had
      to endure at the hands of Matt Byars, a man they trusted.

      In the middle of Deputy District Attorney Laura Ditka's summary, one of
      those boys, who is now 9, shouted, "Find someone your own age, Matt,"
      and fled the courtroom....

      Mr. Byars, hired at Tender Care in 2007, pleaded guilty Monday to
      sexually abusing 12 boys, ranging in age from 6 to 17 years old, over a
      period of several years....

      According to Ms. Ditka, Mr. Byars, 26, of the West End, sexually abused
      seven boys he taught at Tender Care, as well as the cousin of a boy who
      attended the center. He also abused four others.

      He befriended the boys at the day care, as well as their families, and
      often took them on outings, organized pickup hockey games, brought them
      to his church and invited them to sleepovers at his home.

      While at Tender Care, Ms. Ditka said, Mr. Byars would sometimes call
      boys out of line when they were going outside and have them stay back
      with him. In some instances, he assaulted them there.

      In other cases, he took the boys to his home where he showed them
      pornography and photographed and recorded them on video performing sex
      acts. He also set up a video camera in his shower and recorded the boys
      while they washed.

      Mr. Byars told them to "flex" their muscles when he photographed them,
      the prosecutor said.

      In one instance, Mr. Byars made a boy engage in oral sex to let him play
      video games.

      Police became aware of Mr. Byars' actions when the mother of one boy
      told her son "Mr. Matt" wanted to take him to the movies.

      The woman explained the terror she saw in her son's eyes that day, and
      how the boy reacted to what she had said.

      "It all makes sense now," she said. "How my son went from an open,
      caring, loving little boy to an angry, fearful and sad lost soul."

      Her son had been having head- and stomachaches daily. She took him to
      doctors, and he was diagnosed with having anxiety.

      "I blamed myself," she said.

      As a single mother of two, she wondered if her son was jealous of his
      little brother, or was mad that she no longer read to him.

      "My life will never be the same," she said.

      All of the family members who spoke talked about betrayal and the loss
      of innocence.

      "He has taught them hate. He has taught them fear," read one woman who
      is the grandmother of one victim and the great-aunt of another.

      Another mother called Mr. Byars a "monster." She told the court that her
      son has only recently been able to cuddle with his own father after
      having been abused.

      "[He] is having trouble learning how to trust men again, including his
      dad," she said.
      http://goo.gl/E7kE2 <http://goo.gl/E7kE2>

      http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12031/1207105-55-0.stm
      <http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12031/1207105-55-0.stm>