Parents Say West Mem 3 Doc Shouldn’t Get Oscar,Claims Sandusky Threatened Family

  • A Yahoo! user
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2011
      articles:
      - New Sex Abuse Suit Claims Sandusky Threatened Boy's Family If He Told
      - Victim's Parents Say West Memphis Three Documentary Shouldn't
      Receive an Oscar
      - Nix West Memphis 3 doc from Oscar race, urge victim's parents

      New Sex Abuse Suit Claims Sandusky Threatened Boy's Family If He Told

      By Colleen Curry | ABC News 11/30/11

      The latest person to accuse former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky of
      sexual abuse also claims that Sandusky threatened to hurt the boy's
      family if he ever told anyone about the abuse.Sandusky's newest accuser,
      who is now 29, had not told anyone about the abuse until he read about
      the grand jury presentment charging Sandusky with 40 counts of child
      molestation over 15 years, his lawyer Jeff Anderson said today. Until
      that time, he had thought he was the only victim.

      The man, whose identity was not released, issued a statement that said,
      "I don't want other kids to be abused by Jerry Sandusky or anybody like
      Penn State to allow people like him to do it–rape kids! I never
      told anybody what he did to me over 100 times at all kinds of places
      until the newspapers reported that he had abused other kids."

      "I am hurting and have been for a long time because of what happened,
      but feel now even more tormented that I have learned of so many other
      kids were abused after me," he said.

      Anderson said the boy met Sandusky through the Second Mile foundation
      when the alleged victim was 10, and was abused by Sandusky from 1992 to
      1994. He said that Sandusky threatened to harm the boy's family if the
      boy told anyone about the abuse. Sandusky also paid for sports camps,
      plied the boy with gifts, and took him on trips, Anderson said.

      The lawyer said during a press conference today that they had filed suit
      against Sandusky, Penn State and the Second Mile charity seeking
      reparations for over 100 acts of sexual abuse.

      Anderson alleged that Sandusky had abused the boy at Penn State
      University, at Second Mile events, at his home, at a Penn State bowl
      game out of state, and in Philadelphia.

      http://goo.gl/vYYjD <http://goo.gl/vYYjD>

      http://news.yahoo.com/sex-abuse-suit-claims-sandusky-threatened-boy-fami\
      ly-182951181.html
      <http://news.yahoo.com/sex-abuse-suit-claims-sandusky-threatened-boy-fam\
      ily-182951181.html>

      Victim's Parents Say West Memphis Three Documentary Shouldn't
      Receive an Oscar By DAVE ITZKOFF December 1, 2011

      The parents of one of the children who was killed in the so-called West
      Memphis Three murder case have asked the Academy of Motion Picture Arts
      and Sciences to refuse Oscar consideration for the documentary
      "Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory," saying that it celebrates the
      three defendants in that case.

      In a letter reported by The Associated Press, Todd and Dana Moore, whose
      8-year-old son, Michael, was found murdered with two other boys in West
      Memphis, Ark., in 1993, told the academy that the defendants were
      "unjustly able to enter into a plea agreement" and obtain their
      freedom from prison because of "public pressure that exploded due to
      gross misrepresentations of fact" in the "Paradise Lost"
      films.
      http://goo.gl/0siZy <http://goo.gl/0siZy>

      http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/victims-parents-say-west-me\
      mphis-three-documentary-shouldnt-receive-an-oscar/
      <http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/victims-parents-say-west-m\
      emphis-three-documentary-shouldnt-receive-an-oscar/>

      Nix West Memphis 3 doc from Oscar race, urge victim's parents
      CBC News Dec 1, 2011
      The parents of one of three West Memphis, Ark., boys found dead 18 years
      ago have appealed to Oscar organizers to withdraw from consideration a
      documentary about the men convicted in the murders.

      In a letter sent Nov. 22, Todd and Dana Moore requested that Paradise
      Lost 3: Purgatory be removed from a list of documentaries members of the
      U.S. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences are viewing to
      determine the finalists for the Oscars....

      "Because of public pressure that exploded due to gross
      misrepresentations of fact in the two previous documentaries, Michael's
      killers were unjustly able to enter into a plea agreement, were released
      from prison and now pose additional threats to society," the Moores
      write in their letter.

      "We implore the academy not to reward our child's killers and the
      directors who have profited from one of the greatest frauds ever
      perpetrated under the guise of a documentary film."....

      Berlinger defended his film, saying he stands by his conclusion that the
      trio is innocent. He admitted that he started on the first documentary
      with the idea that the men had committed the crimes, but later concluded
      the justice system had erred.

      The Moores granted an interview for the first film of the series, but
      claim in their letter to the academy that the filmmakers "misled" them.
      "We appeared solely in the first film because the directors lied and
      told us their purpose was to protect children," the letter says.
      http://goo.gl/Jr4j2 <http://goo.gl/Jr4j2>

      http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2011/12/01/west-memphis-3.html
      <http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2011/12/01/west-memphis-3.html>