from Sybil's closest living relative

  • smartnews@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2011
      from Sybil's closest living relative

      fwd by permission from Naomi Rhode

      As Shirley Mason's (Sybil) closest living relative, I was close to her for
      the 30 plus years through the saga of her life journey. In fact, I was
      with her for several days during the week of her death, at her request, and
      was one of the only people that was in constant contact with her over those
      30 years. I kept her identity confidential at her fervent request. Through
      all these years up until literally the day before she died, she verified the
      complete accuracy of the book, 'Sybil'. Debbie Nathan claims that she
      contacted me for an interview in 2008 and that I declined. Over the years many
      people have contacted me for information about Shirley's life. Not knowing
      their intent, always, I have declined all such interviews. If Debbie was
      one of those people, I do not recall the call, as I do not keep records of
      every call in a busy business life. I apologize for this, but I do not recall
      her calling. Knowing Dr. Connie Wilbur, and Flora Schreiber, also, the
      book concerns me greatly. It is an attack on their credibility, their
      research, and their professionalism. And, the book is a complete attack on the
      person I loved, Shirley Mason.

      Shirley did not die a recluse. Shirley was a loving, and productive
      woman until her final,lengthy bout with cancer. She painted, and
      taught painting. She sold her paintings. She corresponded with friends,
      and regularly with us. She was a woman of strong spiritual faith in God,
      loved her books and her music, and loved our family greatly. She chose,
      however, to live carefully and confidentially because she was adamant that her
      identity not be known. She was very protective of our family and any recourse
      her life and story may have on us.