Clergy abuse in Delaware: Catholic Diocese of Wilmington, survivors settle suits

  • A Yahoo! user
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2011
      Shanley clergy abuse recovered memory case
      <http://ritualabuse.us/research/memory-fms/shanley-recovered-memory-case\
      />

      Clergy abuse in Delaware: Catholic Diocese of Wilmington, survivors
      settle suits - Framework would set aside $77.4M to pay abuse claims By
      SEAN O'SULLIVAN The News Journal February 3, 2011

      WILMINGTON -- Attorneys representing the Roman Catholic Diocese of
      Wilmington and survivors of priest abuse reached a $77.4 million lawsuit
      settlement Wednesday night following a marathon negotiating session.

      Some details are yet to be worked out, but both sides announced around 9
      p.m. that a general framework that sets aside $77,425,000 in a trust to
      pay survivor claims was hammered out along with a number of non-monetary
      conditions, including the release of files related to abusive priests.

      Wilmington Bishop W. Francis Malooly and some survivors of priest sexual
      abuse were part of the lengthy negotiations.
      "After a seven-year fight, we are on our way to a fair compensation for
      survivors. This is an average payment of $530,000 for each survivor,"
      said attorney Thomas Neuberger, who represents the majority of the
      approximately 150 plaintiffs with claims against either the diocese or
      one of its parishes....

      "Due to our long court battle, there has now been more public exposure
      of church child abuse, misdeeds and evil practices here in Delaware than
      in any other state," Neuberger said. "Due to the public release of
      secret church archives, which the Official Committee [of survivors]
      demanded, these records now will permanently see the light of day."
      http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110203/NEWS01/102030346/Diocese-\
      -survivors-settle-suit