Polanski's defenders lose sight of the true victim, Victim's Op-ed

  • smartnews@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2009
      Polanski's defenders lose sight of the true victim, Victim's Op-ed

      Polanski's defenders lose sight of the true victim By Steve Lopez
      September 30, 2009
      The grand jury transcripts of the sex abuse case paint a far more damaging
      picture of the events that allegedly unfolded between the director and a
      13-year-old girl at Jack Nicholson's home in 1977._
      http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lopez30-2009sep30,0,1671827,full.column_
      (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lopez30-2009sep30,0,1671827,full.column)

      (Victim's Op-ed) Judge the Movie, Not the Man By Samantha Geimer February
      23, 2003 I met Roman Polanski in 1977, when I was 13 years old. I was in
      ninth grade that year, when he told my mother that he wanted to shoot
      pictures of me for a French magazine. That's what he said, but instead, after
      shooting pictures of me at Jack Nicholson's house on Mulholland Drive, he did
      something quite different. He gave me champagne and a piece of a Quaalude.
      And then he took advantage of me. It was not consensual sex by any means. I
      said no, repeatedly, but he wouldn't take no for an answer. I was alone and
      I didn't know what to do. It was scary and, looking back, very
      creepy....We pressed charges, and he pleaded guilty. A plea bargain was agreed to by
      his lawyer, my lawyer and the district attorney, and it was approved by the
      judge. But to our amazement, at the last minute the judge went back on his
      word and refused to honor the deal.
      Worried that he was going to have to spend 50 years in prison -- rather
      than just time already served -- Mr. Polanski fled the country. He's never
      been back, and I haven't seen him or spoken to him since. Looking back, there
      can be no question that he did something awful._
      http://articles.latimes.com/2003/feb/23/opinion/oe-geimer23_
      (http://articles.latimes.com/2003/feb/23/opinion/oe-geimer23)