re: propaganda and mind control techniques

  • SMARTNEWS@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2000
      1/4

      Hi !

      Below please find an article I wrote about propaganda and mind control
      techniques.

      Sincerely, Neil Brick

      Propaganda & Mind Control

      Please use caution while reading this article. It may be triggering.

      After seeing a variety of articles and letters on and off the web that I
      believed either knowingly or unknowingly used propaganda and/or mind control
      techniques, I thought it would be a good idea to print an article about this,
      so that survivors would be able to recognize these techniques and protect
      themselves against them or avoid them.

      Please note: I haven't listed all techniques below. Please refer to the
      articles listed following the article for additional techniques.

      Name Calling

      This can include being called negative names (used inappropriately) like
      liar, psychotic, paranoid, crazy, communist, etc. The purpose, intentional or
      unintentional, of the usage of these names is to discredit the person they
      are being used on, without discussing the facts of the debate or topic.
      Sometimes names are used to shock the listener, which may put the listener
      into a more susceptible mind state and not critically think about the topic
      but simply accept the negative name or opinion subliminally.

      Glittering Generalities

      Democracy, capitalism or other ideas are often discussed in these terms.
      These terms may be described positively without a critical analysis of all
      sides of the issue.
      The important thing is to look at the ideas behind the terms and analyze them
      critically. A group may also only discuss the positives of the
      organization, ignoring any negative criticism about the group. The important
      thing is to check out any group or organization as completely as possible
      before joining. But I believe it is also important to trust people when they
      are safe, so that we can recover by sharing and connecting.

      Exaggeration

      A user of propaganda may use terms like "many," "a lot," "numerous," or "a
      few" without backing up these numbers or statistics. The usage of these words
      may make a person or organization look better or worse without data or
      substantial proof.

      Emotional Manipulation

      Sometimes it is important to look at the argument(s) with as little emotion
      as
      possible, and try to see the facts only.

      From http://carmen.artsci washington.edu/propaganda/fear.htm, "...there
      are four elements to a successful fear appeal: 1) a threat, 2) a specific
      recommendation about how the audience should behave, 3) audience perception
      that the recommendation will be effective in addressing the threat, and 4)
      audience perception that they are capable of performing the recommended
      behavior." Groups may also use these techniques on their members. They may
      say, "If you don't do this, then the world will end, we will close, etc." For
      members that are very needy or attached to the organization or person making
      the statement, this threat may be very difficult to ignore.

      In E-mail, this may be caused by the use of capital letters or other
      techniques. The writer may say things like, "apples are always red," and
      then, "apples are always blue," to cause confusion in the reader and make
      them more susceptible to the ideas in the E-mail. While the mind is trying to
      figure out which statement is true, the reader's mind may become more
      susceptible to the suggestion or idea.

      Sutphen in his article talks about "Shock and Confusion," how people go into
      a meditative state when scared and are more likely to be compliant to the
      second suggestion. If people are made to feel guilty that they were given
      something, they are more likely to follow the next command, like give money,
      etc.

      For survivors, I think the important thing is to realize when these
      techniques are being used on us. To fight the second suggestion and not
      follow it blindly. This may entail leaving the area immediately and going to
      a safe spot. Online this may mean reading certain E-mails with support people
      present. And to avoid those that may use these suggestions on us whenever
      possible. Learning how to develop safe support systems and safe resources can
      help with this. I believe it is dangerous to believe that we can't be MC'ed.

      Guilt may also be used as a technique, especially on survivors. Making
      people feel like they haven't done enough for a particular group or
      organization, asking people to do things without considering all sides of the
      issue or their own needs.

      Neediness can also be used. Survivors may be looking for approval, acceptance
      and a place to discuss their feelings. So they may not be able to critically
      decide what support systems may be the safest for them. Groups will first be
      very nice or overly nice to them (love bombing), but this will often
      disappear later and emotional manipulation and threats or guilt may be used
      to try to cause the desired behavior.

      Subliminal Commands

      The techniques used to create subliminal commands can vary. I believe they
      usually create a meditative state in the individual. I have heard that TV can
      cause these states. "Glassy eyed stares" or "being spaced out" are often used
      to describe this state. Shock or fear or other extreme emotional states may
      also be used to create meditative states. These commands may help the writer
      bypass the reader's conscious mind.

      Specific triggers may be used on survivors. These may sound like the ideas of
      those that do not believe in the existence of recovered memory or ritual
      abuse. These can include calling a person paranoid, psychotic or crazy (see
      "name calling") and allude to the fact that a person's paranoia is connected
      to a psychotic disorder, which, I believe, usually isn't the case. This can
      be used to try and get the survivor to doubt their own reality and the
      reality of their memories. (See SMART issue #27 for the low rate (less than 5
      percent) of "false" memories.)

      Subliminal triggers may also be used intentionally or unintentionally to
      remind a survivor of a specific ritual or past program. Repeated use (or the
      one time use) of certain terms, that could be triggering for survivors, could
      qualify. The writer may be using these terms to scare or trigger the reader.

      A colleague of mine wrote me and told me that she uses three criterion to
      determine online if a person may be a perpetrator of MC.

      1) If the person uses guilt.
      2) If the person tells them to "f_ off." (Could be considered a technique to
      shock the reader.)
      3) Using lots of triggers to control their actions.

      I think the one thing that all 3 above have in common is they entail some
      sort of emotional manipulation and/or trigger.

      Changing the Topic

      Rather than deal with the specific topic, a group or person may try to change
      the topic, or discredit the other side, rather than deal with the criticisms
      or arguments in the debate. A variety of propaganda techniques may be used to
      try and do this. This technique has occasionally been used by politicians
      and others.

      Repetition

      One way of remembering something is to constantly repeat it. This is one way
      we learn to remember new words and songs. Rather than debating the points of
      the debate, a debater may simply continue calling a person a liar or crazy or
      a traitor, etc. (see "name calling") without backing up their statements. How
      often is an idea in an argument presented without a source or logical
      backing. This is one place in a debate or argument where a debater may show
      their "true colors." Are they interested in debating the points of the
      argument or are they using propaganda and mind control techniques?

      Testimonials

      Individuals that are not qualified to discuss the particulars (the specific
      facts) of a debate or product may join the debate or ad campaign and make
      statements that may have little or no logical backing or factual basis.
      Organizations and companies may use a variety of techniques to encourage such
      participation.

      Band Wagon

      The user of propaganda may encourage people to join the cause without asking
      them to think about the facts and other side of the argument. This may
      include a kind of hero worship, including fancy clothes, high expenditures,
      claims of a large following, etc. I think the most important thing is to
      follow your instincts and recovery, not someone else. Other people may have
      valid and helpful things to say, but I believe our recovery has to be our own.

      Logical Fallacies

      These will be intentionally used by the user of propaganda to manipulate
      opinion.

      Example: John likes apples.
      Hitler liked apples.
      John likes Hitler.

      This can be used in politics. Equating communism to fascism because one or
      several communist governments may have been fascist is an example of this. A
      person may agree with someone on one topic and disagree with the same person
      on another topic. The user of propaganda may try to lump the two people or a
      group of people together that disagree with them, suggesting a conspiracy,
      when it may only be people agreeing on a certain topic.

      You might hear that we can't trust anyone if certain people aren't safe. This
      is a logical fallacy and isn't true. It may take time for the survivor to
      trust again, but I think we need to keep trying to trust safe people, so we
      can heal.

      Unwarranted Extrapolation

      This is another logical fallacy. A person receiving a criticism may claim
      that a critique of themselves or their group may cause divisiveness in
      society or their movement. ("Love it or leave" is an example of this.) The
      repetition of this idea may reinforce the idea in the reader's mind. An
      alternative way of looking at this is that the same critique could also make
      the movement stronger, by encouraging people to think about their choices and
      use caution before making those choices. It may encourage all those in the
      movement to become healthier, making the movement even stronger.

      In all logical fallacies, and in terms of propaganda in general, try to see
      the other possible conclusions of the argument, not simply those presented by
      the user of propaganda.

      How to Avoid Blindly Accepting Propaganda and Being Mind Controlled

      (Please note: these are only suggestions. You may want to analyze each of
      them to see if they have any value to you and if necessary, add some of your
      own.)

      From FactNet (about Coercive Persuasion listed under sources):
      "The subjects easiest to influence are usually young, trusting, gullible, and
      non-critical people from protective backgrounds or people who may be
      particularly vulnerable because of some recent unsettled transition (my note:
      survivors may also fit in this category)...the rejects are likely to be
      individuals who have easy access to accurate, critical, or counterbalancing
      information. Insolent, self-centered, street-wise, highly critical or
      recalcitrant individuals are generally culled out..." Though everyone is
      susceptible to some degree.

      1) Try to find out both sides of the story.

      2)Learn about propaganda and mind control techniques and learn how to
      recognize them. If necessary, learn to avoid those using these techniques
      (this may be online or offline.) The media and advertisements may be a good
      place to start either learning about these techniques or avoiding them. At
      times, advertisements don't even discuss the product or its attributes at
      all.

      3) When in a potential situation where you can be MC'ed or propagandized,
      learn how to recognize the feelings of going into a meditative state and
      learn some of the techniques for getting out of these states. (Details are at
      "Conference trigger management and safety" are available via E-mail, snail
      mail (for $1.00 US only) or at http://members.aol.com/
      smartnews/page5/NBpresentation99.htm) I believe that avoidance of these
      situations is usually the best way to keep from being MC'ed or propagandized.

      4) The user of propaganda or mind control techniques may exhibit a "lack of
      morals," lying and/or disregarding the rules of the debate, list, group or
      society. This is similar to the "us vs them" or may be justified by "the ends
      justify the means" arguments organizations may use, see SMART #29 (Cult
      Information Article.)

      5) Try to use your gut feelings. If something doesn't feel right, step back
      or remove yourself from the situation. I believe that a legitimate group or
      organization will give an individual the time and room to make their own
      choices (see "Emotional Manipulation" above).

      I believe the following statement also applies to being MC'ed and/or fooled
      by propaganda. From FactNet, "No one "joins a cult." People recruited into
      destructive groups think they are doing something else, something beneficial
      and worthwhile. Anyone can be recruited given the right sales pitch and the
      right conditions in one's life. We are all potential victims." While I
      believe it is necessary to learn from our mistakes, I think that feeling too
      much guilt doesn't help. It may be necessary to make an amends when safe.
      This may be simply by getting healthy and possibly educating others.

      As always, please use your own judgement and try to research everything as
      fully as possible. Don't accept anything anyone says simply because they say
      it or claim to be an expert or whatever. Try to check it out for yourself. I
      am not an expert, and I am continually learning new things about myself and
      the above topics.

      Sources
      Please note: These sources are listed for educational information only. We
      are not necessarily recommending them as resources for survivors.

      "The Battle for Your Mind," by Dick Sutphen, "Persuasion and Brainwashing
      Techniques Being Used on the Public Today," is at
      http://www.magnet.ch/serendipity/sutphen/brainwsh.html

      "Propaganda Techniques," by Aaron Delwiche and linked pages at
      http://carmen.artsci washington.edu/propaganda/contents.htm (pictures may be
      triggering)

      "Q & A on mind control," FactNet, Inc., http://www.factnet.org/
      rancho2.htm#one (Please note: at http://www.factnet.org/cris_xpt.htm (which
      may be triggering) FactNet lists names on their cult experts page, SMART has
      heard allegations about a couple of these people and several may not be
      pro-survivor.)