Multiple Application Servers on different platforms

  • Brian Thompson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2005

      Hello fellow workers at the PeopleSoft Code-face,

      Our single Application Server is currently running on HP-UX 11i.

      Preliminary testing (by David Kurtz !) showed that a Windows NT Apps. Server was quicker.

      Therefore I am going to create one.

      However I was wondering if anyone knows of any problems with this ?

      Specifically :-

      1. Do I have to do any additional configuration to enable the system to recognise the new Apps. Server ?

      2. How is the workload shared between the two Apps Servers ?

      3. Are there any contention issues I need to be aware of when running multiple Apps. Servers ?

      Any advice gratefully received.

      Thanks in advance,

      Brian Thompson

      PeopleSoft Oracle DBA

      Zetex PLC

      Zetex Semiconductors - Solutions for an analog world.

      To read the latest news from Zetex, read our ZetexPress newsletter
      online at www.zetex.com/zetexpress

      http://www.zetex.com

      E-MAILS are susceptible to interference. You should not assume that
      the contents originated from the sender or the Zetex Group or that they
      have been accurately reproduced from their original form.
      Zetex accepts no responsibility for information, errors or omissions in
      this e-mail nor for its use or misuse nor for any act committed or
      omitted in connection with this communication.
      If in doubt, please verify the authenticity with the sender.
    • James De Atley
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2005

        >>1. Do I have to do any additional configuration to enable the system to recognise the new Apps. Server ?

        Once you setup the additional application server, you will need to point the web server to that application server also.  Depending on the tools version you will do this in the configuration file for the web server, or through the web-tier/web server setup pages.

        >>2. How is the workload shared between the two Apps Servers ?

        In theory, the web server will share the workload between the two, once you do the above step mentioned and it knows the new application server exists.

        >> 3. Are there any contention issues I need to be aware of when running multiple Apps. Servers ?

        I have never run application servers for the same instance off different platforms ... so that is the only unkown I have to offer that might cause an issue.  Only way to find out is to set it up and let it run.  Run the monitoring pieces of the application servers for queing and clients to make sure both application servers are receiving requests from the web-server.

        Cheers,

        James De Atley

        Brian Thompson <bthompson@...> wrote:

[...]

        PeopleSoft for the Oracle DBA is published by Apress - see http://www.psftdba.com.
        The PeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by http://www.go-faster.co.uk.

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Mark Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2005
          1. Change configuration.properties in the webserver to point to both app servers.
              An example of listing multiple appservers is shown in the config file.
          2. round robin
          3. Not aware of any contention issues, i believe that the pub/sub services specifically
              operate in failover mode, instead of load balancing.  The rest of the services should
              share the load.
          p.s.  If you are using remote call cobol , make sure you have a cobol compiler for NT.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2005
            I am mortified that someone wise enough to pay for my consultancy would result to a free internet forum in order to obtain the correct answer!   8-)

            >2. How is the workload shared between the two Apps Servers ?

            The locations of the JSLs must be listed in configuration.properties, and the servlet will choose them on a round robin basis - so it appears to be random.  The load distribution between the domains will be roughly in proportion to the JSL client cleanup timeouts. So this will only result in a 50/50 split between the two domains if the JSL inactivity timeouts are the same.  This is because when a client is timed out it will try one of the JSLs - apparent randomly.  But if one JSL has a lower timeout, clients will be timed out more quickly and they have a higher chance of connecting to the other JSL.

            > 3. Are there any contention issues I need to be aware of when running multiple Apps. Servers ?

            Additional server processes will put additional load on the database.  Also if the CPUs speeds are significantly different users will experience performance variable upon the domain to which they are connected (see page 239 of PeopleSoft for the Oracle DBA).