Unicode and non-unicode PeopleSoft Applications

  • James De Atley
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2003

      Hello all,

      Need some help where unicode db's are concerned.  My current client is a University in the US that is implementing PeopleSoft HR, Financials, and Student Admin.  They wanted to setup their DB2 environments in Unicode, so they can deal with Japanese character sets and the like in the future ... and all applications will be passing data between each other.  My client was told by PeopleSoft that all the applications could be used in a DB2, unicode environment ... and set up each.  After testing, HR and Financials had no issues with character sets ... but Student Admin didn't work.  They checked with PeopleSoft, and as it turns out ... Student Admin over a DB2, unicode env. is not supported ... and won't be until version 9 (imagine that).

      I found the "Unicode in PeopleSoft 8" documentation and passed it on to the lead techs at my client.  From what I can tell, it seems that passing information from a non-unicode system to a unicode system isn't an issue ... as the character sets of the non-unicode are part of the unicode character sets.  The issue, or question is ... how will the non-unicode PeopleSoft Student Admin system deal with unicode information passed to it?  And if there is an issue with passing data from unicode to non-unicode, is there a way around it?

      We will go into a testing phase next week to find out first hand, setup SA in non-unicode and pass data from HR to it through the PIA ... but any help on how this will work ... or not ... would be greatly appreciated.

      Best Regards,

      James De Atley

      Do you Yahoo!?