Re: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Databases Refreshes

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 28, 2004
      Thank you all for some very useful suggestions. My goal if possible
      is to have a lights out refresh process.

      As background we do refreshes by dropping sysadm and importing
      objects. Yeah I could physically recreate everything but in our case
      we only refresh every month or so and timing is not so of the
      essence. The import used to take 4 hours but I busted up the export
      in 10 files, run the import in parallel and have it down to 1hr 5min
      which again is really moot for me as a refresh over the weekend and
      not so often. Lots of different ways to skin this cat.

      Updating the report and server nodes was one of my manual
      intervention points that I was trying to eliminate and thanks for the
      great feedback. The other intervention point for me concerns
      projects. Developers have read only access to test here, the business
      analysts do all the testing. So , the admins migrate all the
      projects. During a db refresh we have to export all of the projects
      and then cony from file/build again after the refresh.

      Is is possible to script the exporting and then subsequent copy from
      file/build of projects or am I just trying to over engineer something
      here that is not practical.

      Many thanks

      Steve

      --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Warren" <ken.warren@U...> wrote:
      > MessageSteve,
      >
      > Obvious caveats: amount of data / d.b.a skills available ... but
      > We found refreshes to be much much quicker using the physical
      method -
      > copying the datafiles and recreating the controlfile.
      > Soon we'll be using RMAN to do this part too.
      >
      > Ken.

      September.