WSL in Production Enviroment

  • Julio C. Alonso
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hi All,
      I`ve a discussion with a companymate about the WLS and WSH
      services in production Enviroment. (version 8.x)
      I have the idea that these services are only for development,
      that don´t affect to performance on Production enviroment.
      My collegue says that on three tier, the conections works
      localy as 2 tier, it says that it´s important to dimension
      the WSL and WSH services to support all the production
      connections and my response are that these services are only
      for connections throught APP Designer.
      What dou you think?
      Do you think these services must be configured at minumun for
      production enviroments?
      Cheers,
    • j_o__j_o@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2004
        --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Julio C. Alonso" <jalonso@e...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        > I`ve a discussion with a companymate about the WLS and WSH
        > services in production Enviroment. (version 8.x)
        > I have the idea that these services are only for development,
        > that don´t affect to performance on Production enviroment.
        > My collegue says that on three tier, the conections works
        > localy as 2 tier, it says that it´s important to dimension
        > the WSL and WSH services to support all the production
        > connections and my response are that these services are only
        > for connections throught APP Designer.
        > What dou you think?
        > Do you think these services must be configured at minumun for
        > production enviroments?
        > Cheers,

        As far as I know those Workstation handler (WSH) and Listener (WSL)
        server processes are for 3-tier only. In 8.x you don't need them. PIA
        / 4-tier you will not need JSL/JSH and for 2-tier you don't need any
        server processes anyway. So, you don't need WSL/WSH ... unless you
        want to run 8.x in 3-tier, i.e. with fat Windows clients using the
        appserver and not PIA via the browser - this would be a fairy unusual
        set-up though.
        Cheers
        Jojo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2004
          You don't need the WSL for the PIA. It is only used for connections from
          Windows 3-tier clients.
          That includes Application Designer and both Query and nVision which are
          still supported windows clients in 8.4

          I`ve a discussion with a companymate about the WLS and WSH
          services in production Enviroment. (version 8.x)
          I have the idea that these services are only for development,
          that don´t affect to performance on Production enviroment.
          My collegue says that on three tier, the conections works
          localy as 2 tier, it says that it´s important to dimension
          the WSL and WSH services to support all the production
          connections and my response are that these services are only
          for connections throught APP Designer.
          What dou you think?
          Do you think these services must be configured at minumun for
          production enviroments?
          Cheers,

          PeopleSoft for the Oracle DBA will be published by Apress in September. The
          PeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by http://www.go-faster.co.uk

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Julio C. Alonso
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2004
            Hi all again,
            Thanks a lot for your responses.
            Then I was right with the WSL services. I win a beer, jejeje.
            Cheers,