Re: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Unicode Oddity

  • Alex Cosser
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2003
      Hi Dave,

      We're using UTF8 here and it took me while to work out what was happening. I have no observations
      on performance yet because I haven't started converting the big tables yet. For these tables I am
      going to do all the validation in a "set based" manner post insert in multiple parallel validation
      streams. With that in mind I have written something that disables all the constraints at the
      beginning and attempts to reapply them again at the end.

      I'm doing the data conversion to Oracle 9 / HRMS 8 from DB2 tables that use char instead of
      varchar and these got lengthened when I copied them into a UTF8 database. I ran into some strange
      problems with mismatching key values that I just couldn't reliably solve. Char variables also seem
      to behave strangely here (e.g. a field with space in it when put through the initcap function did
      not equal space!). I eventually had to have the data put in to a non UTF8 database to be able to
      process it.

      I've found the following helps me with the output field length in sqlplus under Oracle 9 (at this
      site).
      alter session set cursor_sharing = 'EXACT'

      Regards

      Alex

      =====

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com