Trace App Server

  • litbighor
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2004

      We have some strange delays when clicking on a standard panel.
      But we saw that the SQL and network is ok.
      We can see that the ICPanel service of PSAPPSRV takes much time.
      How can we trace it to see the timings of each Peoplecode steps... ?

      Which TracePC ?

      Thanks for your help
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2004
        You could start by enable trace from the signon for just that user.
        If the 'to set trace flags' link is suppressed just add &trace=y yourself
        (thats all the link does anyway).
        eg http://go-faster-3:7201/psp/ps/?cmd=login&trace=y

        With each release of PeopleTools, more trace options have been added.
        Choose sparingly, you can create huge amount of trace very quickly.
        The tracefile will go to the app server log directory.

        If you are on unix you could have a telnet window runnig tail -f on the
        trace file, so you can see the trace as it is written.

        You can also edit the trace file between use actions to add comment lines so
        that you can work out which bit of trace relates to which use action.

        There are two times recorded in the trace
        PSAPPSRV.4060 1-1853 19.52.52 0.060 Cur#1.4060.HR88 RC=0 Dur=0.030
        COM Stmt=Select COUNTRY, STATE from PS_PERSON_ADDRESS where ADDRESS_TYPE =
        'HOME' and EMPLID = :1
        PSAPPSRV.4060 1-1854 19.52.52 0.000 Cur#1.4060.HR88 RC=0 Dur=0.000
        Bind-1 type=2 length=1 value=
        PSAPPSRV.4060 1-1855 19.52.52 0.541 Cur#1.4060.HR88 RC=1 Dur=0.000
        Fetch
        Extract of PS_go-faster-3.tracesql

        * The duration of the logged operation, prefixed with Dur=.
        * The time since the last trace line was emitted is recorded after the time
        at which the line was emitted.

        So the SQL statement in line 1853 took 0.03 seconds to parse and execute,
        but it was 0.06 seconds since the last trace line was emitted. The
        difference suggests time taken by processing in the application server
        process itself.
        The fetch operation at line 1855 reports a duration of 0, so it took less
        that 1ms to execute, but it was 0.541 seconds since the last trace line was
        emitted. Therefore, this was time consumed in the PSAPPSRV process,
        handling the result of the fetch. The return code of 1, indicates that
        nothing was returned by the fetch.

        This sort of might help you identify whether you are losing time on SQL or
        handling the results from queries, or between queries.

        Then you can start to add PeopleCode trace to see if there is PeopleCode
        execting when you are losing time.
        Also look for discrepancies in the SQL time reported by Oracle SQL trace and
        PeopleTools trace.

        Ultimately you can use the debugger to step through the peoplecode in the
        application designer.

        We have some strange delays when clicking on a standard panel.
        But we saw that the SQL and network is ok.
        We can see that the ICPanel service of PSAPPSRV takes much time.
        How can we trace it to see the timings of each Peoplecode steps... ?

        Which TracePC ?

        Thanks for your help

        The PeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by Go-Faster Consultancy Ltd.
        http://www.go-faster.co.uk