Re: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Materialized Views

  • Raj K Muthu
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2004
      In normal view, base query is just stored in the Oracle data
      dictionary. Every time you query a normal view, it looks up the base
      table for data. Whereas in the materialized view, the base query
      result is saved in a separate place, like a normal table. Everytime
      you query the maetrialized view, it will only get you result image
      based on last refresh. Meterialized views are meant for speeding
      summary report queries that deal with historical data. It does
      require database space like normal tables.

      - Raj Kathamuthu

      --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Goulet, Dick" <dgoulet@v...> wrote:
      > Materialized view is the OLD name for a snapshot. Replacing your
      views with MV's would improve performance, but changes to the
      underlying tables of the original view may not be visible in the MV,
      depending on how they are set up with regards to refreshing
      themselves. May become more of a pain than a benefit.

      http://www.go-faster.co.uk