Advice on PeopleSoft performance monitoring tools.

  • tc_at_120maple
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 2013
      I recently was introduced to three Oracle products that seem to have considerable overlap in what they provide:

      The PeopleSoft Performance Monitor product
      *and*
      The Oracle Enterprise Manager Management Plug-In for PeopleSoft
      *and*
      The Oracle Enterprise Manager Application Management Suite for Peoplesoft

      Although the last two may just be different incarnations or versions of the same thing, the first one is quite different.

      Could someone with experience explain which, if any, of these are useful, or why I might choose more than one, or none of these?

      I am looking for reasonable monitoring systems for my PeopleSoft installation, and I currently have none of the above running.

      Thanks in advance,
      -T
    • Stanly Benny
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2013

        2nd and 3rd are essentially one. Once you get to the bottom of it, you will understand that they are referring to the same product. While Performance monitor utility is a tool that comes with your peoplesoft media, that you can install on any peoplesoft environment and monitor other environments. This do not require additional license.

        It really depends upon what is your requirement in monitoring.

        1) Performance monitor allows you to focus on areas and measure you performance in units and thus giving you statistical data on transactions happening across the different tiers. If you have plenty of things to monitor, then this might not be advisable - because i have seen the tool itslef causing performance bottlenecks.

        2) OEM plugin for peoplesoft gives and end to end monitoring capability + remote administration. It gives you metrics on OS, memory and PS specific transactions. You can plug this in to any environment and do pretty much every thing related to PS administration. right from simple CPU monitoring to complex domain administration (web/app/prcs/db) for ex:- create a domain, copy a domain to another, compare domains etc. It require a license. Probably if your organisation is using oracle db and other oracle apps, this would be ideal and you might get lucky to get the peoplesoft plug-in as a take away.

        For the performance monitoring tool you will get lots of documentation and tutorials online, but for OEM PS plugin you will not have much documentation. If you need to know more technical details on OEM PS plugin - you can contact me and i will be able to help you out.

        Hope this helps in decision making.