Re: Performance Managment

  • Ethan Post
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
      Just to get this right, you have 8 total cores then (4 core on each app server)? Are the web servers also running on these servers? Have you done any load testing? What does your DB config look like?
    • Stanly Benny
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
        3000 concurrent users seem to be a high number. You might need to use load balancing at webserver also. How have you load tested this?

         RUEI/OEM plugin for Peoplesoft also might be a good tool to interpret the concurrent usage and play back synthetic connections so you can stress test.

        If its one or 2 components that are heavily used, then consider doing Application server preload cache for those components.

        On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM, imtiaz awan <huzaifahi@...> wrote:

        I am going to live People soft campus mangment and Financial modules.My database is oracle 11g R2 on SAN and two application servers with load balancer.No of concurrent users is 3000.Servers configuration is HP DL580P Quad core with 60 GB RAM.My people Tools is 8.52.I just affarid servers is  not crashed at peak time.If any one have any suggestions how I can manage 3000 concurrent users load on this hardware I will appericated.

        Thanks

      • imtiaz awan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
          Yes you are absulity right I have 4  core on each server.The database is on SAN storage.I am going to load testing but wants if you have any experience to achive optimum performance kindly suggest me.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
            no its physical server if you have any experience kindly share with me.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013

              I have to say that just 8 cores across to app server nodes for 3000 users sounds a bit light.  Obviously you will need to do some load testing.  Not all those 3000 will be concurrently active, but I would think you could easily have 30 concurrent requests.

              If you have 3000 users concurrently logged into PeopleSoft that is 3000 threads in the webserver.  So you may need several web servers on each physical middleware node and load balance across them.

              The important thing is to have enough memory across the various Java pools to support the users.  However, I would keep the Java pools down to a reasonable size 1-2Gb each, and configure as many web servers as necessary.  I don’t think Physical memory will be your constraint.

              With just 4 cores on each app server, you might be able to support 8 PSAPPSRV processes (ie 2 per CPU core) in the application server on each node before the app server node runs out of CPU.  There is no point configuring more PSAPPSRVs than you have CPU to service.  If the 3000 users make more requests than those PSAPPSRV process can handle they will simply have to queue – that is what Tuxedo is designed to do.  That will degrade response time, but the system will run without crashing.   This works well when occasion spikes in the load exceed the application server capacity.  However, if the load consistently consumes all PSAPPSRVs the queues and time spent queuing just lengthen (30 concurrent requests on 16 PSAPPSRVs on 8 core could get you into this position).  Time spent queuing in Tuxedo is a part of the service time, when the time spent queuing exceeds the service timeout the users will experience errors.

              The mistakes that I often see are

              i)                    On see queuing in the app server, administrators assume that they must increase the number of PSAPPSRVs, but if you then run out of CPU you just move the queue out of Tuxedo and onto the Unix run queue.

              ii)                  As queue times increase and users experience timeout errors, administrators increase timeout.  That is nearly always the wrong response.

              In Campus, you might want to segregate students (accessing via the public net) from staff (accessing via internal network) by giving them different URLs to different web servers.  And then you might want different app servers behind that.  Then you can use OS prioritisation (Tuxedo –n option) to prioritise app server processes.  The prioritisation only kicks in when there is no idle CPU.

              Where are the process schedulers going?  On the same boxes?  You might want to run the process schedulers at lower OS priority so that on-line users get CPU in preference.

              To: psftdba@yahoogroups.comFrom: huzaifahi@...: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 09:58:36 -0700Subject: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Performance Managment

              I am going to live People soft campus mangment and Financial modules.My database is oracle 11g R2 on SAN and two application servers with load balancer.No of concurrent users is 3000.Servers configuration is HP DL580P Quad core with 60 GB RAM.My people Tools is 8.52.I just affarid servers is  not crashed at peak time.If any one have any suggestions how I can manage 3000 concurrent users load on this hardware I will appericated.

              Thanks

            • the_dragon Draco
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013

                Those are physical servers, but they can be virtualized.

                Spending less than 30k on production servers is going to come back to bite the client in the long run.  ERP systems are not cheap, and anyone who tries to run million dollar software on cheap hardware.... well, you know where this is headed.

                You can cram everything you need onto those servers, but your performance under load is going to suck.  At a minimum, you need to carve out on each server the following: 1 DB isntance (primary and failover), I'd go with a minimum of 2 PIA instances with an admin console, 2 application servers and 1 process scheduler servers on each server.

                That's a lot for what you have.  Realistically, for a production instance, I'd recommend a separate physical server for each database (even though one will just spin most of the time)- perhaps you could use the standby to house non-prod components.

                Also, I don't see you mentioning the mom-production development stream, a minimum of Demo, Dev, Test and UA.  You certainly can no cram those on the servers you mention.

                To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
                From: huzaifahi@...
                Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 20:00:33 -0700

                To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com From: huzaifahi@... Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 09:58:36 -0700 Subject: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Performance Managment
                I am going to live People soft campus mangment and Financial modules.My database is oracle 11g R2 on SAN and two application servers with load balancer.No of concurrent users is 3000.Servers configuration is HP DL580P Quad core with 60 GB RAM.My people Tools is 8.52.I just affarid servers is  not crashed at peak time.If any one have any suggestions how I can manage 3000 concurrent users load on this hardware I will appericated.

                Thanks

              • Manoj Negi
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6, 2013
                  You could limit the number of weblogic/websphere sessions based on the load server can handle. It's better to stop the users upfront than letting the server crash and showing error-500 page. Also, schedule all the batch processes after peak hours only. Don't allow user to run queries during the peak hours as well.

                  I agree with experts - it's not advisable to use cheap hardware for production environments.

                  Manoj