Re: PeopleSoft DBA Forum app/web server cache clearing procedure [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • Josh Whitlock
    Message 1 of 7 , May 27, 2013
      There is a known issue with the PT_SAVEWARNINGSCRIPT, forget the doc ID at the moment, that causes it to fail and can also cause spawning of webserver sessions (100s per minute) which sometimes will lead to web servers crashing. The fix was supposed to be delivered in a later tools patch and they did, but then broke it again in the next so fix is unclear if it's really there in your version. The manual change you can make is opening up PT_SAVEWARNINGSCRIPT and change all occurrences of Interval to TimeOut in the function calls. I think there may be 4-6 of them but memory is failing me at the moment.
      Josh

      Message 2 of 7 , May 28, 2013
        have you checked this for IE 9?

        On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Lantzy, Pamela L <plantzy@...> wrote:

        Richard,

        Did you have the users delete their own browser cache and cookies as well?    Are all your users using the same browser?

        Pam

        Message 3 of 7 , May 28, 2013

          Pam – We all use IE9 on Win7.  For the power users we did advise them to delete cache.  It’s for the casual users (senior staff approving transactions) that it’s harder to justify sending out a blanket request.  Also, since IE8 there is a sneaky option on the Delete Cache page called ‘Preserve Favorites website data’ which is ticked by default and easy to miss.  This can complicate matters – they have to untick this if they have PeopleSoft bookmarked.

          Clark – My personal opinion is that in 2013 end users shouldn’t have to know about cache clearing, and whilst F5 does solve it, that doesn’t explain the root cause.  It’s our administrators (ie me) and their tools that need to get smarter.  I found a document on MOS that talks about the ‘scorched earth’ approach to forcing a browser cache clear – you update the web profile and change the cache directories from cache/ to cache/xxx and recycle the PIA.  I have asked Oracle what exactly recycling the PIA means – I am hoping it can be done without bouncing weblogic – e.g. the servlet directive ?cmd=reloadconfig or similar.

          So with a bit of testing, I think I we will be able to improve our procedures to reduce the risk of cache misbehaving.

          I would love to know what exactly caused the issue though, but  I’m not sure Oracle will be able to explain that given it’s not replicable.  They are wisely steering clear of trying to support peculiar site related browser issues like this one.

          Some good references on MOS for this:

          E-PIA: Known Issues and Most Used Solutions [ID 1298374.1]

          E-PIA: How To Handle Small User Groups with Browser Issues [ID 1486974.1]

          E-WS: How to Delete / Purge Cache for the PeopleSoft Application [ID 753215.1]

          E-PIA: How To Clear IE8 Browser Cache to resolve Calendar Display Problems? [ID 1103800.1]

          E-UPG: PT8.50, PT 8.51, PT 8.52: After Tools Upgrade, "Object Error" and "Error on Page" [ID 1119034.1]

          If "Pressing F5 within the browser reloads the page, and solves the problem" does indeed solve the problem, it is a local cache issue and you need to find smarter users who can clear their local browser cache.  It's always a good plan to have users clear their browseer cache when server cache is cleared.

          To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
          From: plantzy@...
          Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 13:28:18 +0000

          Message 4 of 7 , May 28, 2013

            "recycling the PIA means – I am hoping it can be done without bouncing weblogic "  Nope - that's what it means.  And it still doesn't address browser cache.

            To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com

            To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
            From: plantzy@...
            Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 13:28:18 +0000