Cloning PS_HOME to another server

  • srisaro
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 10, 2013

      We are in PeopleTools 8.18 and 8.3 HRMS.

      We are planning to copy the PS_HOME to another windows server and trying to bring up the services.

      I would kindly request you to help me in understanding the things which we need to take care pre and post this activity.

      I'm planning to bring up the services with the same instance name, what all the other configuration which I need to take care.

      Like, registry settings, environment variables or if there are any thing else....

      Please help....

      regards,
      Sri.
    • the_dragon Draco
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
        1) you need to have all the software PeopleSoft needs installed first - tuxedo, weblogic (if a PIA server), java, cobol, etc.  Otherwise it won't work
        2) You seriously need to upgrade to a suppodrted platform.
        3) You need a real PeopleSoft application admin to help you.

        To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
          Thanks Clark.

          I will surely consider the pre installations required for this.
          The reason why this kind of an activity is in plan is that we don't have the exact CDs to install the tools and application and hence this cloning.
          I do have the tuxedo and crystal reports CDs but not the others.

          Secondly, upgrading to a supported platform is something this client( i don't want to mention their name) is not willing to in the near future.

          Thirdly, I'm a PeopleSoft Admin and just wanted to make sure of what I'm doing is right by discussing such things in the forum like this.

          Thanks once again.
          Regards,
          Sri

          --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, the_dragon Draco wrote:

          > 1) you need to have all the software PeopleSoft needs installed first - tuxedo, weblogic (if a PIA server), java, cobol, etc. Otherwise it won't work
          > 2) You seriously need to upgrade to a suppodrted platform.
          > 3) You need a real PeopleSoft application admin to help you.
          >
          > peace,
          > clark 'the dragon' willis
          >

          > To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
          > From: srisaro@...
          > Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:55:03 +0000
          > Subject: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Cloning PS_HOME to another server
          >

          > Hi,
          >
          > We are in PeopleTools 8.18 and 8.3 HRMS.
          >
          > We are planning to copy the PS_HOME to another windows server and trying to bring up the services.
          >
          > I would kindly request you to help me in understanding the things which we need to take care pre and post this activity.
          >
          > I'm planning to bring up the services with the same instance name, what all the other configuration which I need to take care.
          >
          > Like, registry settings, environment variables or if there are any thing else....
          >
          > Please help....
          >
          > regards,
          > Sri.

        • the_dragon Draco
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
            My apologies - the question made me think it was not an admin asking it.

            If you don't have the install media, just cloning the PS_HOME will not work.  You'll need to clone an entire existing server, to get the installed software you don't have access to.  Have you tried getting the install media from Orasoft?

            To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
            From: srisaro@...
            Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:58:31 +0000

            Thanks Clark.

            I will surely consider the pre installations required for this.
            The reason why this kind of an activity is in plan is that we don't have the exact CDs to install the tools and application and hence this cloning.
            I do have the tuxedo and crystal reports CDs but not the others.

            Secondly, upgrading to a supported platform is something this client( i don't want to mention their name) is not willing to in the near future.

            Thirdly, I'm a PeopleSoft Admin and just wanted to make sure of what I'm doing is right by discussing such things in the forum like this.

            Thanks once again.
            Regards,
            Sri

            --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, the_dragon Draco wrote:

            > 1) you need to have all the software PeopleSoft needs installed first - tuxedo, weblogic (if a PIA server), java, cobol, etc. Otherwise it won't work
            > 2) You seriously need to upgrade to a suppodrted platform.
            > 3) You need a real PeopleSoft application admin to help you.
            >
            > peace,
            > clark 'the dragon' willis
            >

            > To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
            > From: srisaro@...
            > Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:55:03 +0000
            > Subject: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Cloning PS_HOME to another server
            >

            > Hi,
            >
            > We are in PeopleTools 8.18 and 8.3 HRMS.
            >
            > We are planning to copy the PS_HOME to another windows server and trying to bring up the services.
            >
            > I would kindly request you to help me in understanding the things which we need to take care pre and post this activity.
            >
            > I'm planning to bring up the services with the same instance name, what all the other configuration which I need to take care.
            >
            > Like, registry settings, environment variables or if there are any thing else....
            >
            > Please help....
            >
            > regards,
            > Sri.

          • srisaro
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
              No Problem Clark, no need to apologize for this silly matter.

              Now, actually, we have three diff server in which three app servers are configured in production.

              one of such server having an issue due to registry corruption and the tools version we have is 8.18.09 in all the three.

              when tried for this 81809 verion in oracle ftp site, it is not available.
              so, planned to clone one of our existing production server itself, but there we need to hack the registry which is not advisable.

              so planned to build a new server and clone the PS_HOME so then we have a new (non-corrupted) registry.

              But as per our discussion, now I'm left with no other choice other than having the same old server.

              Is it still worth giving it a try with one of our Non-prod servers?

              --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, the_dragon Draco wrote:

              > My apologies - the question made me think it was not an admin asking it. If you don't have the install media, just cloning the PS_HOME will not work. You'll need to clone an entire existing server, to get the installed software you don't have access to. Have you tried getting the install media from Orasoft? peace,clark 'the dragon' willis
              >
              > To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
              > From: srisaro@...
              > Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:58:31 +0000
              > Subject: Re: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Cloning PS_HOME to another server

              > Thanks Clark.
              >

              > I will surely consider the pre installations required for this.
              >
              > The reason why this kind of an activity is in plan is that we don't have the exact CDs to install the tools and application and hence this cloning.
              >
              > I do have the tuxedo and crystal reports CDs but not the others.
              >

              > Secondly, upgrading to a supported platform is something this client( i don't want to mention their name) is not willing to in the near future.
              >

              > Thirdly, I'm a PeopleSoft Admin and just wanted to make sure of what I'm doing is right by discussing such things in the forum like this.
              >

              > Thanks once again.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Sri
              >

              > --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, the_dragon Draco wrote:
              >

              > > 1) you need to have all the software PeopleSoft needs installed first - tuxedo, weblogic (if a PIA server), java, cobol, etc. Otherwise it won't work
              >
              > > 2) You seriously need to upgrade to a suppodrted platform.
              >
              > > 3) You need a real PeopleSoft application admin to help you.
              >

              > > peace,
              >
              > > clark 'the dragon' willis

              > > To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
              >
              > > From: srisaro@
              >
              > > Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:55:03 +0000
              >
              > > Subject: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Cloning PS_HOME to another server
              >

              > > Hi,
              >

              > > We are in PeopleTools 8.18 and 8.3 HRMS.
              >

              > > We are planning to copy the PS_HOME to another windows server and trying to bring up the services.
              >

              > > I would kindly request you to help me in understanding the things which we need to take care pre and post this activity.
              >

              > > I'm planning to bring up the services with the same instance name, what all the other configuration which I need to take care.
              >

              > > Like, registry settings, environment variables or if there are any thing else....
              >

              > > Please help....
              >

              > > regards,
              >
              > > Sri.

            • vinod kk
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 12, 2013
                Hi Sri,

                In the new windows server, install tuxedo, crystall and oracle client.  Copy the PS_HOME to this new server and reconfigure it.

                Am a beginner in psoft admin, a suggestion if u can test. :)

                Thanks
                Vinod K K

> [...]

                > > 3) You need a real PeopleSoft application admin to help you.
                >

                > > peace,
                >
                > > clark 'the dragon' willis

                > > To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > > From: srisaro@
                >
                > > Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:55:03 +0000
                >
                > > Subject: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Cloning PS_HOME to another server
                >

                > > Hi,
                >

                > > We are in PeopleTools 8.18 and 8.3 HRMS.
                >

                > > We are planning to copy the PS_HOME to another windows server and trying to bring up the services.
                >

                > > I would kindly request you to help me in understanding the things which we need to take care pre and post this activity.
                >

                > > I'm planning to bring up the services with the same instance name, what all the other configuration which I need to take care.
                >

                > > Like, registry settings,
                environment variables or if there are any thing else....

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    psftdba-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    psftdba-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • srisaro
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013
                  Thanks Vinod.
                  Surely take your recos.

                  Will update you all once I've done testing.

                  Thanks and Regards,
                  Sri.

                  --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, vinod kk wrote:

                  > Hi Sri,
                  >
                  > In the new windows server, install tuxedo, crystall and oracle client.  Copy the PS_HOME to this new server and reconfigure it.
                  >
                  > Am a beginner in psoft admin, a suggestion if u can test. :)
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Vinod K K
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • RAVISHANKERAN R
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
                    Hi Sri,

                    You can download the old tools version from the following site.

                    ftp://ftp.oracle.com/peoplesoft/outgoing/ptools/

                    But,I find only PT8.18.10 not PT 8.18.09. It's only a minor patch difference.So,it should not make any difference.

                    Thanks,
                    Ravishankeran.R

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 13, 2013
                      Hi Ravi,

                      Thanks for your help and sorry for the delayed response.

                      Yes, even I found the same before getting into this cloning idea. But actually I want 8.18.08.
                      Moreover, I won't be able to install 8.18.10 in only one of my app servers where I have three in total and planning to get to that one cloned which is having a corrupt registry.

                      Upgrading to 81810 is not an option with my client as this is strongly a damn legacy system which they want it undisturbed for the rest of their life. huh!

                      I'm going to get the version I'm requesting for I believe thru some contacts in Oracle. I will update you all soon.

                      Thanks Gurus.

                      Regards,
                      Sri.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 13, 2013
                        You can try this, but I have no confidence in its success.  Install using the media you do have, and then compare directories between your source server and the target server with the new install and move any discrepancies.  Once again, perform at your or risk and awareness.

                        To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
                        From: srisaro@...
                        Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 09:42:38 +0000
                        Subject: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Re: Cloning PS_HOME to another server