Re: Settings for ample server

  • mwallred
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2012
      I forgot to mention...

      This is on Windows Server 2008r2 64bit and with Oracle 11g.

      Thanks.

      --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "mwallred" <mwallred@...> wrote:

      > We're upgrading to HR 9.1 & PT 8.52 and have this shiny new database server with lots of horsepower and memory. I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions for ways to take advantage of the much bigger, much better system.
      >
      > It's a dedicated production database server. No web/app/whatever else servers running on it. Just the one production database.
      >
      > Has anyone seen good results with any particular parameters, configurations, etc when you've got a lot to work with? I'm guessing there are also things that you would think would help but didn't seem to make any difference.
      >
      > Thanks for any suggestions.
      >
      > Marty

    • ewayte
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 2012
        --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "mwallred" <mwallred@...> wrote:

        > I forgot to mention...
        >
        > This is on Windows Server 2008r2 64bit and with Oracle 11g.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "mwallred" <mwallred@> wrote:
        > >
        > > We're upgrading to HR 9.1 & PT 8.52 and have this shiny new database server with lots of horsepower and memory. I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions for ways to take advantage of the much bigger, much better system.
        > >
        > > It's a dedicated production database server. No web/app/whatever else servers running on it. Just the one production database.
        > >
        > > Has anyone seen good results with any particular parameters, configurations, etc when you've got a lot to work with? I'm guessing there are also things that you would think would help but didn't seem to make any difference.
        > >
        > > Thanks for any suggestions.
        > >
        > > Marty

        My Oracle Support Doc ID 1445965.1 "Advice For the PeopleSoft Oracle DBA" is the first place you should look.

        Required parameters:
        _unnest_subquery = false
        _gby_hash_aggregation_enabled = false.

        Parameters to avoid:
        optimizer_index_cost_adj - leave at default.
        optimizer_index_caching - leave at default.
        db_file_multiblock_read_count - unset, dynamically calculated.
        cursor_sharing - leave at default of 'exact'.

        Good advice:
        optimizer_features_enable - leave at default of Oracle version.

        Aside from these parameters, look at implementing pscbo_stats (MOS Doc Id 1322888.1)

        Eric Wayte
        Database Manager Enterprise
        University of Central Florida