Settings for ample server

  • mwallred
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2012
      We're upgrading to HR 9.1 & PT 8.52 and have this shiny new database server with lots of horsepower and memory. I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions for ways to take advantage of the much bigger, much better system.

      It's a dedicated production database server. No web/app/whatever else servers running on it. Just the one production database.

      Has anyone seen good results with any particular parameters, configurations, etc when you've got a lot to work with? I'm guessing there are also things that you would think would help but didn't seem to make any difference.

      Thanks for any suggestions.

      Marty
    • mwallred
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2012
        I forgot to mention...

        This is on Windows Server 2008r2 64bit and with Oracle 11g.

        Thanks.

        --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "mwallred" <mwallred@...> wrote:

        > We're upgrading to HR 9.1 & PT 8.52 and have this shiny new database server with lots of horsepower and memory. I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions for ways to take advantage of the much bigger, much better system.
        >
        > It's a dedicated production database server. No web/app/whatever else servers running on it. Just the one production database.
        >
        > Has anyone seen good results with any particular parameters, configurations, etc when you've got a lot to work with? I'm guessing there are also things that you would think would help but didn't seem to make any difference.
        >
        > Thanks for any suggestions.
        >
        > Marty

      • ewayte
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2012
          --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "mwallred" <mwallred@...> wrote:

          > I forgot to mention...
          >
          > This is on Windows Server 2008r2 64bit and with Oracle 11g.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "mwallred" <mwallred@> wrote:
          > >
          > > We're upgrading to HR 9.1 & PT 8.52 and have this shiny new database server with lots of horsepower and memory. I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions for ways to take advantage of the much bigger, much better system.
          > >
          > > It's a dedicated production database server. No web/app/whatever else servers running on it. Just the one production database.
          > >
          > > Has anyone seen good results with any particular parameters, configurations, etc when you've got a lot to work with? I'm guessing there are also things that you would think would help but didn't seem to make any difference.
          > >
          > > Thanks for any suggestions.
          > >
          > > Marty

          My Oracle Support Doc ID 1445965.1 "Advice For the PeopleSoft Oracle DBA" is the first place you should look.

          Required parameters:
          _unnest_subquery = false
          _gby_hash_aggregation_enabled = false.

          Parameters to avoid:
          optimizer_index_cost_adj - leave at default.
          optimizer_index_caching - leave at default.
          db_file_multiblock_read_count - unset, dynamically calculated.
          cursor_sharing - leave at default of 'exact'.

          Good advice:
          optimizer_features_enable - leave at default of Oracle version.

          Aside from these parameters, look at implementing pscbo_stats (MOS Doc Id 1322888.1)

          Eric Wayte
          Database Manager Enterprise
          University of Central Florida