Peoplesoft HR Database Refresh

  • Ashish Bhatt
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 26, 2012
      We are running Oracle 9.2 on Unix server. Our Peoplesoft HR version is 8.8 SP2.

      We want to know how to do Peoplesoft HR Database Refresh. Is Oracle backup and restore only way?

      We are looking for smarter and faster method.

      Please reply with all the steps involved at your end.

      Thanks in advance.

      Have a nice day and great week.

      Regards.

      Ashish Bhatt.
    • the_dragon Draco
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 26, 2012
        You can use Rman.  You can stop the source environment, copy the .dbf files and recreate the control files, if the environment can be offline.

        peace,'clark 'the dragon' willis

        services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is finite

        and the only real asset that you have, and once used it can never be

        If a story is worth telling, it's worth embellishing.

        It's not Rocket Surgery!

        "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only
        you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other
        people spend it for you." -- Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

        "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -- William G. McAdoo
        "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and
        by the rulers as useful." -- Seneca

        "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because
        I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

        "Does religion calm your fears of death?" "No, but death will calm my fear
        of religions."

        SIGNATURE :
        Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good
        with ketchup.
        You've got to be a Spirit; don't need no Ghosts.
        Do or Do Not; There is NO Try.
        Any clod can have facts, but having an opinion is an art !
        A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.
        When a continuing state of defiance and disorder can not be checked by the
        rules, then new and sometimes drastic rules must be forged to maintain
        order; the alternative is anarchy.
        M. Clark Willis III - Sr Systems Analyst, Sr Consultant, PeopleSoft Admin and

        Security expert, Tech Architect and team lead. ceprn@...
        aolim:ceprn YIM:ceprn

        Help stamp out SPAM!! http://www.cauce.org
        The senders of unsolicited commercial e-mail to me at any site are liable
        for a $500 per message cost under USC 47, which may be found at
        http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47

        NOTICE:  The information contained in this message is protected under United
        States and international copyright laws and is intended for the personal and
        confidential use of the addressee.  If you are not the addressee or an agent
        of the addressee, you are hereby notified that you have received this
        message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, taking of
        any action in reliance upon or copying of this message without the express
        written permission of the sender or his agent is strictly prohibited and in
        violation of referenced statutes.  If you have received this message in
        error, please notify me (the sender) immediately and you are instructed to

        Contents of this message, in it's entirety, (c) 2000 - 2010
        M. Clark Willis III / Dragon Enterprises inc.  All rights reserved.

        To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 11 , May 10, 2012
          --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, Ashish Bhatt <ashish_bhatt@...> wrote:

          > We are running Oracle 9.2 on Unix server. Our Peoplesoft HR version is 8.8 SP2.
          > We want to know how to do Peoplesoft HR Database Refresh. Is Oracle backup and restore only way?
          > We are looking for smarter and faster method.
          > Please reply with all the steps involved at your end.
          > Thanks in advance.
          > Have a nice day and great week.
          > Regards.
          > Ashish Bhatt.

          Sorry for the late response.
          Here's a brief summary of what we (I) do, I am sure it's not the most efficient.
          First off, we do datapump exports of our Prod several times a week.
          When they want a refresh, I ftp the newest one to the dev server.
          I stop all appservers, process schedulers, webserver, etc for the database I am refreshing.
          I then datapump export out of the dev database about 15 tables that have info such as GUID, psoprdefn, report nodes, etc. These will be re-imported later after importing the production tables.
          Then I run about 4 or so scripts in parallel that drop sysadm tables with the purge option to avoid the recycle bin.
          That script was generated by a select a table script and was broken into 4 pieces. I don't regenerate the scripts every time, I check to see if there are remaining tables. Generally there might be some.
          I start the datapump import and let it run overnight.
          In the morning, I re-import the1 15 or so orig dev tables that I exported.
          I run a few datamover scripts to reset passwords, clear process scheduler stuff, etc.
          Clear out the report repository, clear cache.
          Run statistics.
          A few other things perhaps.
          Our production datapump export is maybe 35Gb. Even if I start things late in the day, I can have it refreshed sometime the next moring if I don't get to many interruptions.
          Maybe not the most efficient, but it works, and I have plenty of other tasks to keep me busy while this is running.
          HTH,
          Roger
        • the_dragon Draco
          Message 4 of 11 , May 24, 2012

            Greetings and salutations, throbbing brain;

            PT 8.50.18
            HR 9.1
            PA 9.1

            Have a really strange issue.  I have two systems, a production and a non-prod.  Basically they both have multiple PIAs and app servers behind a Radware (load balancer) redirect.  They log into Portal, and it will single-signon into HR.  The URL stays in the Portal and pulls in the pages from HR, near as I can tell.  Everything works ok there, as far as I can tell.  However, when a user is in the non-prod syste, in talent planning, succession planning, and clicks on a link [Return to Dashboard] they get an error on the page at the browser level - it boils down to

            Message: Permission denied
            Line: 274
            Char: 7
            Code: 0
            URI: http://[redirect URL for the content PIA]/cs/[DOMAIN]/cache/PT_SAVEWARNINGSCRIPT_win0_1.js

            This is obviously the pop-up that comes up when you try to leave a page and something has changed (although nothing should have, because the user is just entering the page, and clicking on the link, so nothing should have changed).  I can see this java script in the cache directory, and there are no access issues.  The service account that started the portal PIA is the same as the HR PIA, and for this instance, the entire environment is running single threaded on one server.

            Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

          • Graham Bowden

              Message 6 of 11 , May 24, 2012
                Thanks - yes, checked all that.

                To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 11 , May 25, 2012
                  Solution - the web profile being used had http rather than https on the virtual addressing page.

                  Happy weekend.

                  peace,
                  clark 'the dragon' willis

                  To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 21, 2012
                    OK, throbbing brain, I need some help again...

                    Much to my dismay I have to support PeopleTools versions 8.16, 8.17, 8.18 and 8.22. With the new Microsoft office there are about a dozen new extensions that need to be supported. In newer versions of PeopleTools/Weblogic this is easily hadled by adding some tag stanzas in the web.xml file for the domain. In the older versions this doesn't seem to be the case.

                    So, to the question - does anyone know how to add extensions, such as xlsm, docx, etc, for older PTools/weblogic versions?

                    To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
                    From: rogbak_er@...
                    Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 02:04:18 +0000
                    Subject: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Re: Peoplesoft HR Database Refresh

                    --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, Ashish Bhatt <ashish_bhatt@...> wrote:

                    > We are running Oracle 9.2 on Unix server. Our Peoplesoft HR version is 8.8 SP2.
                    > We want to know how to do Peoplesoft HR Database Refresh. Is Oracle backup and restore only way?
                    > We are looking for smarter and faster method.
                    > Please reply with all the steps involved at your end.
                    > Thanks in advance.
                    > Have a nice day and great week.
                    > Regards.
                    > Ashish Bhatt.

                    Sorry for the late response.
                    Here's a brief summary of what we (I) do, I am sure it's not the most efficient.
                    First off, we do datapump exports of our Prod several times a week.
                    When they want a refresh, I ftp the newest one to the dev server.
                    I stop all appservers, process schedulers, webserver, etc for the database I am refreshing.
                    I then datapump export out of the dev database about 15 tables that have info such as GUID, psoprdefn, report nodes, etc. These will be re-imported later after importing the production tables.
                    Then I run about 4 or so scripts in parallel that drop sysadm tables with the purge option to avoid the recycle bin.
                    That script was generated by a select a table script and was broken into 4 pieces. I don't regenerate the scripts every time, I check to see if there are remaining tables. Generally there might be some.
                    I start the datapump import and let it run overnight.
                    In the morning, I re-import the1 15 or so orig dev tables that I exported.
                    I run a few datamover scripts to reset passwords, clear process scheduler stuff, etc.
                    Clear out the report repository, clear cache.
                    Run statistics.
                    A few other things perhaps.
                    Our production datapump export is maybe 35Gb. Even if I start things late in the day, I can have it refreshed sometime the next moring if I don't get to many interruptions.
                    Maybe not the most efficient, but it works, and I have plenty of other tasks to keep me busy while this is running.
                    HTH,
                    Roger

                  • Deep Pandey
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 21, 2012
                      See if it helps

                      On the web server host go to ..../portal/web-inf directory.
                      Update web.xml file with file types for Office 2007 file types with correct mime-type.

                      Link for the Mime type document is
                      http://blogs.msdn.com/vsofficedeveloper/pages/Office-2007-Open-XML-MIME-Types.aspx

                      Summary
                      Office 2007 introduced new file formats for common document types
                      (Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, and PowerPoint presentations), and has standardized on new MIME types for
                      each new format. The following information is provided to document the new MIME types and their proper use in
                      HTTP content streaming situations.

                      The following table documents the HTTP MIME types that are available when working with Office 2007 documents:

                      Ext MIME Type
                      .doc application/msword
                      .dot application/msword
                      .docx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document
                      .dotx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.template
                      .docm application/vnd.ms-word.document.macroEnabled.12
                      .dotm application/vnd.ms-word.template.macroEnabled.12
                      .xls application/vnd.ms-excel
                      .xlt application/vnd.ms-excel
                      .xla application/vnd.ms-excel
                      .xlsx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet
                      .xltx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.template
                      .xlsm application/vnd.ms-excel.sheet.macroEnabled.12
                      .xltm application/vnd.ms-excel.template.macroEnabled.12
                      .xlam application/vnd.ms-excel.addin.macroEnabled.12
                      .xlsb application/vnd.ms-excel.sheet.binary.macroEnabled.12
                      .ppt application/vnd.ms-powerpoint
                      .pot application/vnd.ms-powerpoint
                      .pps application/vnd.ms-powerpoint
                      .ppa application/vnd.ms-powerpoint
                      .pptx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation
                      .potx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.template
                      .ppsx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.slideshow
                      .ppam application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.addin.macroEnabled.12
                      .pptm application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.presentation.macroEnabled.12
                      .potm application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.presentation.macroEnabled.12
                      .ppsm application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.slideshow.macroEnabled.12

                      For example: Insert following lines for Word 2007 DOCX type as follows.

                      The reported problem can be resolved by shutting down your web server, adding the following 16 entries for DOCX to your web.xml, and then restarting your web server:
                      <mime-mapping> <extension> docx </extension> <mime-type> application/vnd.ms-word.document.12 </mime-type> </mime-mapping>
[...]

                      The mime type had to be added through the Websphere Admin Console for the Virtual Host that the peoplesoft site was running under. After added the mime type and doing a rolling restart of the websphere application server you would be able to view the file.

                      You have to add line for each file type that you need or file types attached by end users.

                      Note: For Word 2007 documents looks like practically we can use two mime types.
                      **Update: For Weblogic 9.2 and up, case sensitivity is no longer an issue. As a result, only 1 line per MIME type is needed. Please see NOTE 783958.1 for details**

                      To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
                      From: rogbak_er@...
                      Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 02:04:18 +0000

                      --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, Ashish Bhatt <ashish_bhatt@...> wrote:

                      > We are running Oracle 9.2 on Unix server. Our Peoplesoft HR version is 8.8 SP2.
                      > We want to know how to do Peoplesoft HR Database Refresh. Is Oracle backup and restore only way?
                      > We are looking for smarter and faster method.
                      > Please reply with all the steps involved at your end.
                      > Thanks in advance.
                      > Have a nice day and great week.
                      > Regards.
                      > Ashish Bhatt.

                      Sorry for the late response.
                      Here's a brief summary of what we (I) do, I am sure it's not the most efficient.
                      First off, we do datapump exports of our Prod several times a week.
                      When they want a refresh, I ftp the newest one to the dev server.
                      I stop all appservers, process schedulers, webserver, etc for the database I am refreshing.
                      I then datapump export out of the dev database about 15 tables that have info such as GUID, psoprdefn, report nodes, etc. These will be re-imported later after importing the production tables.
                      Then I run about 4 or so scripts in parallel that drop sysadm tables with the purge option to avoid the recycle bin.
                      That script was generated by a select a table script and was broken into 4 pieces. I don't regenerate the scripts every time, I check to see if there are remaining tables. Generally there might be some.
                      I start the datapump import and let it run overnight.
                      In the morning, I re-import the1 15 or so orig dev tables that I exported.
                      I run a few datamover scripts to reset passwords, clear process scheduler stuff, etc.
                      Clear out the report repository, clear cache.
                      Run statistics.
                      A few other things perhaps.
                      Our production datapump export is maybe 35Gb. Even if I start things late in the day, I can have it refreshed sometime the next moring if I don't get to many interruptions.
                      Maybe not the most efficient, but it works, and I have plenty of other tasks to keep me busy while this is running.
                      HTH,
                      Roger

                      Deep

                    • peoplejedi
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 21, 2012
                        Ashish,

                        There are many ways to do this and it depends on what your specific needs are. Bascially, however, you would clone the database using whatever is your favorite method of doing so for any Oracle database (RMAN, DataGuard, DataPump, straight file copy) and immediately afterward updating PSDBOWNER with the new DBNAME. That is the bare minimum you need to do.

                        --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, Ashish Bhatt <ashish_bhatt@...> wrote:

                        > We are running Oracle 9.2 on Unix server. Our Peoplesoft HR version is 8.8 SP2.
                        > We want to know how to do Peoplesoft HR Database Refresh. Is Oracle backup and restore only way?
                        > We are looking for smarter and faster method.
                        > Please reply with all the steps involved at your end.
                        > Thanks in advance.
                        > Have a nice day and great week.
                        > Regards.
                        > Ashish Bhatt.

                      • Juarez, Jose Antonio
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 21, 2012

                          Ashish…

                          The last week I migrated from 9i to 12g ( I did the migration & refresh on new server ).

                          After the copy rename with

                          $nid TARGET=system/<system-password>@<oracle-sid>\‟/ as sysdba\‟ DBNAME=<new-name> SETNAME=YES

                          On PS Look at the procedure: E-INST PT8.4x, PT 8.5x: How to Copy a PeopleSoft Environment [ID 643499.1]