RE: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Application Server Crash

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2012

      I have seen this domino effect before.

      The JSL on each app server must be configured to support the entire application.  The maximum number of connections is the number JSH processes multiplied by the number of clients per handler.

      So you have to set the max number of JSHs sufficiently high.

      If you have too many PSAPPSRV processes you can run out of memory and/or CPU.

      Even if you don’t run out of machine resources you can have so much load that the amount of time spent queuing that the system will still become unresponsive.

      What error messages do you get in the appsrv.log and tuxedo log when the app servers crash?

      DBA Blogs: PeopleSoft: http://blog.psftdba.com, Oracle: http://blog.go-faster.co.uk

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2012

        Hi

        We were experiencing frequent crashes (most mornings around the same time) on our system – logs indicated a resource issue.  I halved the number of psappsrv processes and the problem went away.

        Julie

[...]

        Important Notice: the information in this email and any attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to an intended recipient, you should delete it from your system immediately without disclosing its contents elsewhere and advise the sender by returning the email or by telephoning a number contained in the body of the email. No responsibility is accepted for loss or damage arising from viruses or changes made to this message after it was sent. The views contained in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Liverpool John Moores University.
      • the_dragon Draco
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 24, 2012
          How many PSAPPSRV processes are you starting on each server, and how many clients can each have?  Additionally, what are your Unix OS level limits set at for these accounts?

          What does your entire PRD architecture look like (from a high level)? Where are all the pieces of the system located?  How many CPUs are on the app server servers?

          To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
          From: J.Wynne@...
          Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:31:35 +0000

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 24, 2012