Re: PSAPPSRV and ICPanel processes

  • srisaro
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2011
      I have three app servers in which there 11, 8 , 8 psappsrv services configured. The time out value is set as default (300). At a particular time period, I see all the services' status to be ICPanel and thus causing perfomance issues.
      How to addres this?
      Please help..

      --Saro

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2011
        If all the servers are busy the question is the ICPanel service taking so
        long?
        PeopleTools Performance Monitor would be of assistance here to work out what
        is consuming the time.
        SQL Trace could help if this is a SQL performance problem.

        If you have used all the available CPU on either the app server or the
        database then you may have too many APPSRVs!
        Having more than 10 servers on a single queue can cause other contention
        issues in the application server.

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
          Thanks David. Still I'm not clear what is causing the performance issues.
          I'm in PT8.18.08 and 8.3 Peoplesoft Appliction. Win 2000 server.
          Currently there are recruitment activities going on in the system.
          I always see this ICPanel status for the PSAPPSRV services when I check for the status of the server.
          During this time, I'm able to see that the server is not taking any more requests or transactions and any transaction here is taking longer time then ever.
          I did changed the value of Session time out to 120 from 300. But I still see the ICPanel status for our psappsrv services.
          How do I address this?

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
            When an app server process is busy executing a service request it doesn't
            dequeue other requests from the queue.

            The timeout controls the amount of time Tuxedo lets the server run a single
            request before killing the server process and restarting a new process.

            In your case you seem to have a service that is running for more that 300
            seconds. The question is what is it doing that is taking so long? The
            probability is that it is a SQL statement that is taking the time. Try a
            PeopleTools trace of the process or look at the database session that
            relates to that server, perhaps use extended SQL trace on that session.

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
              Thanks David.

              So the best possible solution is to shutdown -i <ID> for that particular process/service.

              Moreover, enabling SQL trace or PeopleTools trace will again slow down the performance or response to the user, which might again give a heads up for the performance ticket.

              Whilst looking at this issue now, I believe the query which is being executed will be the culprit. This query is a one which is related to the current recruitment which is going on.
              And now when I did a shutdown -i <ID> that PSAPPSRV service alone is in the ICPanel [Shutdown] state for a long time. Tried shutting it down one more time, no joy.
              Any help?

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
                That may treat the symptom but not the cause. You need to stop it happening
                again.

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 17, 2011
                  And now, here is the so called "Deeper Problem".

                  I have this Session Timeout value set to 120.
                  and I see this one such PSAPPSRV service stuck in ICPanel.
                  And when I identified the ID and did a shutdown -i <id> from tmadmin command line.
                  Now, the shutdown of that particular service is not happening and hung.
                  When did a force close of the Windows cmd session and opened a new one, and checked for status, it is at ICPanel <Shutdown> and it is at this state for a long time.
                  As it is in Windows machine, I'm not able to particularly identify that service and kill it.

                  And now, what shall be the "Deeper Problem"?

                • the_dragon Draco
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 8 8:29 AM
                    what are your experiences?

                    peace,
                    clark

                  • the_dragon Draco
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 28 5:35 PM
                      In Weblogic 10.3.3. is there a way to capture the user name in the PIA_access.log file? PIA is load-balanced behind Radware.

                      Currently the entries are
                      nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn - - blah blah blah

                      So, the IP address is being captured, but a - for user name.

                    • Paul
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 6, 2012
                        Is it just for audit purposes?

                        PSACCESSLOG in the database should capture PS ID's/times etc?