RE: PeopleSoft DBA Forum PSAPPSRV problem again

  • wfholmes
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 20, 2004
      Is it not possible to stop and restart the COBOL license manager?

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 20, 2004
        You would think it should be possible, but as far as I can tell it isn't.  When you kill the licence managers shared memory segment the licence manager shuts down.  I have tried logging in as root and running the appropriate startup script etc, but it seems to know somehow.  When you try to restart it you get the "misuse.. reboot.." message.

        Unfortunately I don't have proper notes on this.  There must be something else that you have to do but it isn't obvious (clearly deliberately) and I have never found it.

        Is it not possible to stop and restart the COBOL license manager?

        --- David Kurtz <david.kurtz@...> wrote:
        > The semaphores for the cobol compiler are always the same IDs.  Just
        > don't
        > kill them.  Some sites have edited the ipcrmall.sh script to grep -v
        > these
        > segments out of the generated killipc.sh.
        >
        > If you have removed the Merant segments then I think you really do
        > have to
        > reboot the entire Unix server - I know of no workaround

        The PeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by Go-Faster Consultancy Ltd. http://www.go-faster.co.ukeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by Go-Faster Consultancy Ltd. http://www.go-faster.co.uk

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • litbighor
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 21, 2004
          Thanks for yours answers.
          I tried to restart with mflm_manager but it says "Corrupted database"
          or something like that...
          David, can you explain how to identify the ipcs for the cobol license
          please ? Only semaphores for it ?

          Example :
          ipcs -ms | grep psoft :

          m 8 0x0000fb31 --rw-rw---- psoft users
          m 9 0x00000000 --rw------- psoft users
          m 10 0x00000000 --rw------- psoft users
          m 11 0x0000ad7a --rw-rw---- psoft users
          m 212 0x741cc1a0 --rw-rw-rw- psoft users
          m 13 0x741cc1a1 --rw-rw-rw- psoft users
          m 14 0x741cc1a2 --rw-rw-rw- psoft users
          s 23 0x0000fb31 --ra-ra---- psoft users
          s 536 0x00000000 --ra-ra---- psoft users
          s 25 0x0000ad7a --ra-ra---- psoft users
          s 538 0x00000000 --ra-ra---- psoft users

          --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "David Kurtz" <david.kurtz@g...>

          Service.
        • kellykday
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 21, 2004
            The misuse error is actually a known bug with Micro Focus and the
            only way to clear it is reboot the unix box.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 21, 2004
              Attached is a slightly dated document that describes the steps
              necessary to reestablish the license database. You will probably not
              need to reinstall the COBOL compiler.

              Hope this helps.

            • litbighor
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 22, 2004
                Can you give a link, I can get the file ?

                --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, wfholmes <wfholmes@y...> wrote:
                > Attached is a slightly dated document that describes the steps
                > necessary to reestablish the license database. You will probably
                not
                > need to reinstall the COBOL compiler.
                >
                > Hope this helps.
                >
                > --- litbighor <lehuyluan@h...> wrote:
                > > Thanks for yours answers.
                > > I tried to restart with mflm_manager but it says "Corrupted
                database"

                > > or something like that...
                > > David, can you explain how to identify the ipcs for the cobol
                license

                > > please ? Only semaphores for it ?
                > >
                > > Example :
                > > ipcs -ms | grep psoft :
                > >
                > > m 8 0x0000fb31 --rw-rw---- psoft users
                > > m 9 0x00000000 --rw------- psoft users
                > > m 10 0x00000000 --rw------- psoft users
                > > m 11 0x0000ad7a --rw-rw---- psoft users
                > > m 212 0x741cc1a0 --rw-rw-rw- psoft users
                > > m 13 0x741cc1a1 --rw-rw-rw- psoft users
                > > m 14 0x741cc1a2 --rw-rw-rw- psoft users
                > > s 23 0x0000fb31 --ra-ra---- psoft users
                > > s 536 0x00000000 --ra-ra---- psoft users
                > > s 25 0x0000ad7a --ra-ra---- psoft users
                > > s 538 0x00000000 --ra-ra---- psoft users
                > >

                > > --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "David Kurtz" <david.kurtz@g...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > You would think it should be possible, but as far as I can tell
                it
                > > isn't.
                > > > When you kill the licence managers shared memory segment the
                > > licence manager
                > > > shuts down. I have tried logging in as root and running the
                > > appropriate
                > > > startup script etc, but it seems to know somehow. When you try
                > > restart
                > > > it you get the "misuse.. reboot.." message.
                > > >
                > > > Unfortunately I don't have proper notes on this. There must be
                > > something
                > > > else that you have to do but it isn't obvious (clearly
                > > deliberately) and I
                > > > have never found it.

                Terms of

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 22, 2004