What is the best way to size the tablespace/s initial and next extent for PS DB

  • grbforums
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2011
      All,

      Question: 1
      Any suggestion to size the tables and tablespaces initial and next extent for PeopleSoft DB's?

      Question: 2
      Is there a way to monitor the tablespace size for alerts based on the datafile size for each tablespace (not overall tablespaces)? Currently I have a tablesapce which has 280GB with 35 datafiles, each 8GB. If I setup alerts in OEM Grid based on the tablesapce percentage like 85% then it is sending alerts when space below 42GB which is correct. But I don't want to allocate any more to the tablesapce and it is waste at this time, 42GB is very big chunk in reality it required only 4 GB and it is good enough.

      I appreciate your suggestions.

      Ramesh
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2011
        If this is an initial install of PeopleSoft, you should be able to get away with a lot less than 280 GB to start with.  There is a tablespace create script that comes with the initial DB creation that you should be using (although there are some modifications you should be making, unless you was to reorg after the install).  I am not certain a "one size fits all" strategy of 8GB dbfs is a good plan in the long run.  Additionally, the product you're installing will make a difference on the initial DB size - HCM vs FSM vs SCM vs SA vs PP vs CRM.

        I am not certain the dbf size really matters - just turn on autoextend and let the DB do it's job (assuming a real DB, Oracle).  You can also drop your alert limit to 90 and 95, or 95% and 97%.  Unless you're doing massive loads, your tables/tablespaces shouldn't be in danger if you use a higher limit.

        To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com