RE: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Online Queries.

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 25 12:06 PM
      Queries use the ICQuery service which is advertised on the QRYQ queue which
      is serviced by the PSQRYSRV servers.
      If you haven't configured PSQRYSRVs the ICQuery service is advertised on the
      APPQ queue which is serviced by PSAPPSRV servers.

      For the sake of completeness, can you confirm that not only is there no
      requests queued for the PSQRYSRVs, but none of them are busy either.

      DBA Blogs: PeopleSoft: http://blog.psftdba.com, Oracle:
      http://blog.go-faster.co.uk

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 25 12:10 PM
        I completely agree.  Giving unrestricted access to PS/Query to developers is like giving brandy to an alcoholic - it is going to end in tears.

        Increasing timeout limits is nearly always the wrong thing to do.
        There is a hierarchy of timeouts, and if you increase one, you have to increase them all.
        (The one you should increase is the JSL timeout to be one minute more than PIA inactivity timeout).

        DBA Blogs: PeopleSoft: http://blog.psftdba.com, Oracle: http://blog.go-faster.co.uk

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 27 4:15 AM
          Hi,

          Thank you all for reply. I have never seen there is a queue for other servers either. We have two app servers and only one domain configured on each. We have set max instances for all servers.Please see below. We started facing this issue from just few days.

          [PSAPPSRV]
          Min Instances=12
          Max Instances=12
          Service Timeout=300
          Recycle Count=10000
          Max Fetch Size=50000

          [PSANALYTICSRV]
          Min Instances=3
          Max Instances=3

          [PSSAMSRV]
          Min Instances=6
          Max Instances=12
          Service Timeout=300
          Recycle Count=100000

          [PSQCKSRV]
          Min Instances=9
          Max Instances=12
          Service Timeout=300

          [PSQRYSRV]
          Min Instances=4
          Max Instances=6
          Service Timeout=1200

          I have a doubt that, suppose if there is a load on server, will PSQRYSRV increases to max instances by booting up automatically or we have to manually boot them up?

          Thanks
          Vishwa

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 27 7:34 AM
            1. you probably have too many PSAPPSRVs for a single domain. You are likely
            to experience contention on the queue.
            2. the recycle count has been raised from the delivered value - that will
            allow the memory overhead of the app servers to increase.
            3. You don't need QCKSRVs in PT8.x. They are left over from PT7.x
            4. How many CPUs have you got for all these servers? Consider how many
            active PSAPPSRVS you can actually support?
            5. I would set min/max PSSAMSRV to 1.
            6. Do you need analytic servers?
            7. Most of the overhead of PSQRYSRV is on the database, but you should set
            the recycle count low (maybe just 50 to 100) because the entire result set
            of the query goes into PSQRYSRV program memory. You have increased the max
            fetch size on PSAPPSRV. Did you do the same on QRYSRV? You need to be sure
            that you don't run out of physical memory. If you start to page memory to
            disk performance will nosedive.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 11, 2011
              OK, throbbing interweb brain...

              I set up a valid port for my debuggers (9500 and 9501 on this server), cleared the app server cache, "turned the debuggers on" by compiling the app server config, and I can see it running in both PSadmin as well as ps -ef, but the developers are getting the following error messages:

              "The Application server is not enabled for PeopleCode Debugging (143, 6)"
              with Explanation
              "The Application Server that this Application Designer is connected to has not been abled for PeopleCode Debugging.
              The PSADMIN tool is used to configure an Application Server and enable PeopleCode Debugging for that server."

              Everything I have read, and my experience tells me this should be working as it sits, yet the developers are saying it isn't.

              Any ideas or suggestions?

              -------------sig file follows ---------------

            • Deep Pandey

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 11, 2011
                  Yes, thank you, all of this checks.

                  To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
                  CC: ceprn@...

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 11, 2011
                    Thank you for your assistance.

                    peoplesoft bug - there were // in front of the WSL address definition in the psappserv.cfg file that needed to be removed, then the appserver started without recompiling the config, because that evidently puts the // back.  [ID 656757.1]

                    [Workstation Listener]
                    ;=========================================================================
                    ; Settings for Workstation Listener
                    ;=========================================================================
                    ;Address=//something-something.com
                    Address=something-something.com

                    peace,
                    clark

                    ----- Sig file follows -----

                    To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
                    CC: ceprn@...
                    From: deep.tkt@...
                    Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 14:00:08 -0500

[...]

                  • Juarez, Jose Antonio
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 11, 2011
                      When you active PeopleSoft Debug in psadmin and you recompiling app, peoplesoft put the characters // if you are not using the variable %PS_MACH%
                      In my case when I get that message was the Firewall ( McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention should be in enable learn mode if you are using McAfee ).

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 11, 2011
                        Sigh....

                        PT 8.49.27 - AIX - Oraclek

                        Ok, great, it works now... for one user.  The other user trying to use the debugger gets the following error when trying to open App Designer:

                        "Debugging Disabled. Communication failure during connect() : WSAENETREACH(10051) Network is unreachable. (143,38)."
                        Explanation
                        "A communicationn failure has occured.  Typical causes may include a process crasjh or network failure.  Exit the Application and Try again.

                        Technical Reason:  A socket operation was attmpted to an unreachable network.  This usually means the local software knows no route to the remote host."

                        Then, after you say [OK] to the error, app desinger starts right up.  There is nothing of note in my appserver logs, and the process is fine:

                        > Prog Name      Queue Name  Grp Name      ID RqDone Load Done Current Service
                        BBL            51242       vq2ua503       0    961     48050 (  IDLE )
                        PSMONITORSRV   MONITOR     MONITOR        1      0         0 (  IDLE )
                        PSDBGSRV       DBGQ        DBGSRV         1      0         0 (  IDLE )
                        PSAPPSRV       APPQ        APPSRV         1    259     12950 (  IDLE )

                        any more hints?

                        To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com