SQL Server

  • rmjoye
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2010
      As a cost cutting measure, we are looking at changing from Oracle to SQL Server. Do any of you utilize SQL Server? Would you be willing to discuss your experiences with it?

      We are running HRMS 9.0 and Financials 9.0 on PeopleTools 8.49.

      Thanks,

      Bob Joye
      Senior Enterprise Application and Database Engineer
      International Speedway Corporation
      (386) 681-5258 (office)
      rjoye@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2010
        The problem you have migrating PeopleSoft from any database platform to any
        other is that while the vanilla code will run, you may have to change your
        custom code. In addition to platform specific syntax, I have seen
        functional problems introduced because code doesn't run quote the same way
        on the new platform and because column names that are valid on the old
        platform but are reserved words on the new platform. You will have to fully
        retest all you custom code.

        BTW are use using Enterprise or Standard Edition of Oracle?

        DBA Blogs: PeopleSoft: http://blog.psftdba.com, Oracle:
        http://blog.go-faster.co.uk

      • mwallred
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2010
          The licensing costs for each can be really confusing. In our case, by the time you can choose how many processors and which kind (primarily which brand and how many cores) there was no significant difference in pricing between the two.

          Make sure you carefully examine which versions and which license options you need for each one.

          Can't give any advice on SQL Server on PS, though. I've only worked with Informix, DB2, and Oracle.

          Marty Allred
          Lexington Medical Center

          --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "rmjoye" <rmjoye@...> wrote:

          > As a cost cutting measure, we are looking at changing from Oracle to SQL Server. Do any of you utilize SQL Server? Would you be willing to discuss your experiences with it?
          >
          > We are running HRMS 9.0 and Financials 9.0 on PeopleTools 8.49.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Bob Joye
          > Senior Enterprise Application and Database Engineer
          > International Speedway Corporation
          > (386) 681-5258 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (386) 681-5258      end_of_the_skype_highlighting (office)
          > rjoye@...

        • drumzspace
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9, 2010
            Hi Bob-

            Been using SQL w/ PS for eight or so years. Migrated from Informix when we upgraded our HR & FS apps to 8.x tools. I administered both systems & ran both platform conversions.

            Currently our HR 8.9/PT 8.48 app is on SQL 2000. We're upgrading our FSCM app to 9.1/PT 8.5 and will soon be on SQL 2008. We've been testing on SQL 2008 for the 9.1 upgrade and everything seems to be really cool- low maintenance, high performance, no headaches. The tuning and admin apps for 2008 are lightyears ahead of the ones in 2000 (as one would expect).

            The monetary hit for us licensing another Enterprise server wasn't too bad given that we already have a massive license agreement to cover client OSes, MS Office, Exchange, etc.

            So that's my general answer. If you'd like more info or have more specific questions feel free to email me.

            -Ben Guerard
            Sr. IS Analyst
            County of Napa