Stress Test (loadrunner)

  • Henry Poras
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
      We are planning on running a stress test of our PeopleSoft Financials
      system with LoadRunner starting next week. I have never gone through
      this process before, and am looking for suggestions as to the best
      stuff to monitor. Right now, I am planning to to run statspack, and
      take vmstat snapshots on the OS (Sun Solaris). Are there any other
      suggestions? Thanks for the help.

      Henry
    • Rich Gesler
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
        Henry -
        Sorry, I have no answers to your question. However, I
        am on the road right behind you, so I have a question
        of you (if I may, please).

        How difficult is it to set up LoadRunner for
        Financials? We are looking for a stress/regression
        test tool set. We don't have a lot of money left for
        tools and Mercury stuff is, I believe, pricey. So, we
        want to find a tool that won't require hiring an
        additional resource to manage. Any input on this
        would be appreciated.

        One other question for the list: We are doing a new
        install of Financials and SCM here. Today, we just
        received the PeopleSoft software. It's got the BEA
        Weblogic and Tuxedo but, I don't see the MicroFocus
        Cobol cd's. Is this a seperate purchase? I assumed
        that if the particular PeopleSoft module required
        Cobol we would receive the necessary software.

        Thanks,
        Rich Gesler

        http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
      • shirley.mcgregor@aon.com.au
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
          Rich/Henry

          MicroFocus is a separate purchase (from either MicroFocus or Peoplesoft),
          but if you're upgrading from a previous version they should have included
          the CD's..... It works out much cheaper to buy from Peoplesoft because of
          the multi-user pricing structure that MicroFocus have.

          Below is the high level summary of what was involved in load testing at
          another one of our sites. We actually use the Rational Robot here and have
          set aside approximately two to three weeks for recording and testing (7.63
          Financials to 8.4x).

          Testing was broken down into four cycles, 1. Base on-line transaction
          testing and tuning, 2. Application load testing, 3. End-to-end
          verification & 4. On-line concurrency tests.

          High-Level Approach

          · One (LoadRunner) script will be created for each identified business
          transaction.

          · This list covers all transactions: online, batch, reports, queries.

          · Starting with the first business transaction only the script will be
          executed twice. During the first execution, PeopleSoft SQL tracing will be
          enabled in order to obtain an SQL trace of the transaction. The SQL trace
          will be used for tuning and debugging purposes. During the second
          execution, tracing will be disabled. The primary purpose of the second
          execution will be to obtain baseline timings for the transaction with no
          other system activity.

          · Next, the LoadRunner script will be executed again, effectively
          rerunning the transaction 20 times. Results from tests will be analyzed
          and compared against requirements for the transaction in question.

          · The transaction will be tuned and re-tested, as required, until
          preliminary requirements are met.

          · The above process will be repeated for each identified business
          transaction.

          · Regression testing will be performed after any tuning change to
          ensure that the change does have a negative impact on previously tuned
          transaction.

          Application Load Testing Phase

          · A series of LoadRunner scripts will be created, each executing an
          individual business transaction a specific number of times. The number of
          times each transaction is executed per script will be function of the
          number of times the transaction is performed on a heavy day. The scripts
          will be cycled such that the virtual user executing the script will log on
          to the system, execute the transaction 5-10 times, and then log off. The
          script will then have the virtual user log back on again, and complete 5-10
          transactions, and so on. Random wait and think times will be inserted
          between each transaction entry and logon.
          · Checkpoint approach: The scripts will be loaded and executed 10
          virtual users in a proportion where the most frequent transaction type will
          be assigned to the largest number of users, and the least frequent to the
          smallest number of users.
          · The previous test run will be repeated for 10, 30 and 60 virtual
          users. The proportion of users executing each script will remain the same
          as above.
          · After each test run the support groups involved with the cycle will
          have the opportunity to review monitor and log results, and make any
          required changes. If necessary, a specific test run will be repeated.
          · After each test run, average transaction response times will be
          examined

          Test Data Requirements can be split up in the following areas:

          · Data being received over interfaces
          · Historical Data being introduced over conversion
          · Data being produced by online data entry

          Hope this is of some assistance to you.

          Regards......

          | | Rich Gesler |
          | | <rgesler@...|
          | | m> |
          | | |
          | | 03/01/2004 06:25 |
          | | AM |
          | | Please respond to|
          | | psftdba |
          | | |
          | |
          | To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com |
          | cc: |
          | bcc: |
          | Subject: Re: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Stress Test (loadrunner) |

          --- Henry Poras <hporas@...> wrote:
          > We are planning on running a stress test of our
          > PeopleSoft Financials
          > system with LoadRunner starting next week. I have
          > never gone through
          > this process before, and am looking for suggestions
          > as to the best
          > stuff to monitor. Right now, I am planning to to run
          > statspack, and
          > take vmstat snapshots on the OS (Sun Solaris). Are
          > there any other
          > suggestions? Thanks for the help.
          >
          > Henry

          http://search.yahoo.com/top2003

          The PeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by Go-Faster Consultancy Ltd.
          http://www.go-faster.co.ukeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by Go-Faster
          Consultancy Ltd. http://www.go-faster.co.uk

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          "The information contained in this email and any attached files
          is strictly private and confidential. This email should be
          read by the intended addressee only. If the recipient of this
          message is not the intended addressee, please call Aon Risk
          Services Australia, Aon Consulting, Aon Re Australia Ltd and
          other associated Aon Companies on +61 2 92537000 and promptly
          delete this email and any attachments.

          The intended recipient of this email may only use, reproduce,
          disclose or distribute the information contained in this email
          and any attached files with Aon's permission. If you are not
          the intended addressee, you are strictly prohibited from using,
          reproducing, disclosing or distributing the information
          contained in this email and any attached files.

          Aon advises that this email and any attached files should be
          scanned to detect viruses. Aon accepts no liability for loss
          or damage (whether caused by negligence or not) resulting from
          the use of any attached files."
        • laurent Delisle
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
            Have you ever seen "Spotlight for Oracle" (From Quest software), for me , it's the best intuitive performance tools for Oracle.

            Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 7:45 PM
            Subject: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Stress Test (loadrunner)

            We are planning on running a stress test of our PeopleSoft Financials
            system with LoadRunner starting next week. I have never gone through
            this process before, and am looking for suggestions as to the best
            stuff to monitor. Right now, I am planning to to run statspack, and
            take vmstat snapshots on the OS (Sun Solaris). Are there any other
            suggestions? Thanks for the help.

            Henry

            The PeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by Go-Faster Consultancy Ltd. http://www.go-faster.co.ukeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by Go-Faster Consultancy Ltd. http://www.go-faster.co.uk

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Henry Poras
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
              Rich,
              Sorry, but I am not the one configuring LoadRunner. I just started
              attending the stress test meetings (so it is probably a bit late to
              make major changes, though hopefully that isn't necessary). I am just
              trying to better understand exactly what the tool does, what data it
              collects, what data I must collect independently, and what model(s)
              will be used to analyze the data.

              I'll let you know how it goes.

              Henry