Re: columns encryption

  • smontgomerie
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 15, 2010
      Hi Joan,
      Oracle has the Advanced Security Option (ASO) which can encrypt columns in Oracle 10 and tables in Oracle 11. Look at the ASO guide for more information. The list price is about $12,000/processor for this option.

      --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, Joan Hsieh <joan.hsieh@...> wrote:

      > Hi Listers,
      >
      > The tables of peoplesoft HR application has SSH columns which is not
      > encrypted in our system. I am wondering do you have any knowledge on how
      > to encrypt the SSH column in peoplesoft environment? What kind of
      > options do we have to handle the SSH security issues?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Joan

    • smontgomerie
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 15, 2010
        Hey Clark,
        I am assuming this is Weblogic 32 bit. That being the case you are restricted to 1.7gb of memory so your heap should be less than 1.7 gb. What about the thread size? As I recall when we went from WL 5 to 9 the thread size was increased by default. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but I believe the thread size for 5 was 256K and for WL 9 it is 1mb. That means each client unnecessarily gets 1mb of memory. This caused us to exhaust the available 1.7gb on a regular basis. We configured WL 9 to use a 256K thread size and it has since worked well for us.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 15, 2010
          Mongoose -

          Thank you for the information; I'll check it out and make some recommendations if necessary.

          How is everything going for you?  You still in the Florida area with the wife?  Are you still a CA citizen, or have you come over to the dark side?

          peace,
          Dragon

          services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is finite

          and the only real asset that you have, and once used it can never be

          "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only
          you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other
          people spend it for you." -- Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

          "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -- William G. McAdoo
          "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and
          by the rulers as useful." -- Seneca

          "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because
          I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

          "Does religion calm your fears of death?" "No, but death will calm my fear
          of religions."

          SIGNATURE :
          Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good
          with ketchup.
          You've got to be a Spirit; don't need no Ghosts.
          Do or Do Not; There is NO Try.
          Any clod can have facts, but having an opinion is an art !
          A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.
          When a continuing state of defiance and disorder can not be checked by the
          rules, then new and sometimes drastic rules must be forged to maintain
          order; the alternative is anarchy.
          M. Clark Willis III - Sr Systems Analyst, Sr Consultant, PeopleSoft Admin and

          Security expert, Tech Architect and team lead. ceprn@...
          aolim:ceprn YIM:ceprn

          Help stamp out SPAM!! http://www.cauce.org
          The senders of unsolicited commercial e-mail to me at any site are liable
          for a $500 per message cost under USC 47, which may be found at
          http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47

          NOTICE:  The information contained in this message is protected under United
          States and international copyright laws and is intended for the personal and
          confidential use of the addressee.  If you are not the addressee or an agent
          of the addressee, you are hereby notified that you have received this
          message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, taking of
          any action in reliance upon or copying of this message without the express
          written permission of the sender or his agent is strictly prohibited and in
          violation of referenced statutes.  If you have received this message in
          error, please notify me (the sender) immediately and you are instructed to

          Contents of this message, in it's entirety, (c) 2000 - 2010
          M. Clark Willis III / Dragon Enterprises inc.  All rights reserved.

          To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
          From: steve.montgomerie@...
          Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:19:56 +0000
          Subject: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Re: Weblogic spazzing out

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 15, 2010
            Group -

            Ooops, so sorry - didn't see the distribution until after I hit send - that was supposed to be a private message to Steve.

            Sometimes, not drinking caffeine has it's drawbacks.

            To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com

            From: steve.montgomerie@ siemens.com
            Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:19:56 +0000

            Hey Clark,
            I am assuming this is Weblogic 32 bit. That being the case you are restricted to 1.7gb of memory so your heap should be less than 1.7 gb. What about the thread size? As I recall when we went from WL 5 to 9 the thread size was increased by default. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but I believe the thread size for 5 was 256K and for WL 9 it is 1mb. That means each client unnecessarily gets 1mb of memory. This caused us to exhaust the available 1.7gb on a regular basis. We configured WL 9 to use a 256K thread size and it has since worked well for us.

            --- In psftdba@yahoogroups .com, the dragon <ceprn@...> wrote:

            > Ok, strange issue going on with one of my clients...
            >

            > I have 2 weblogic installs on an 8 GB AIX server. One of them is playing nicely (older HCM version). The other (newer FSCM) used to have a heap size of 1 GB, but it was crashing, so we upped it to 2, and it's still crapping out. GSC has been less than useful. We bounced the entire server 2 days ago; since it had been up 144 days, we thought this might help - not so much.
            >

            > weblogic 9.2 (unknown patch level, if any)
            >
            > PT 8.49.27
            >
            > App Fin 9.0 (unknown bundle level)
            >

            > We are running a management server for this environment even though we are just running a single PIA.
            >

            > I can see in the console that the heap keeps dropping to less than 5 percent, and that's when users start getting APACHE errors and can't log in or navigate until we either bounce the PIA services or perform garbage collection - which has turned intoa full time job for me.
            >

            > Of course, this is production - the other environments are working fine. Also, the server itself is not experiencing any real load for memory, CPU, disk or paging.
            >

            > The system is creating Snap** files, headdump**, core** dumps and javacore** files aplenty.
            >

            > While this had happened sporadically in the past, it really started wth a vengence last week after an Oracle patch and tools patch was applied (not by me).
            >

            > So, I thought I'd toss this out to the interweb throbbing brain and see if anyone had any ideas. Short of upgrading to a different version.
            >

            > peace,
            >
            > clark 'the dragon' willis

            > http://www.windowsl ive.com/campaign /thenewbusy? ocid=PID28326: :T:WLMTAGL: ON:WL:en- US:WM_HMP: 042010_3

          • Joan Hsieh
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 15, 2010
              Thanks, But how it works in peoplesoft application? Does column
              encryption handle by hr peoplesoft application?

              Jon

              On 6/15/2010 7:13 AM, smontgomerie wrote:
              > Hi Joan,
              > Oracle has the Advanced Security Option (ASO) which can encrypt columns in Oracle 10 and tables in Oracle 11. Look at the ASO guide for more information. The list price is about $12,000/processor for this option.
              >
              > --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, Joan Hsieh<joan.hsieh@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hi Listers,
              >>
              >> The tables of peoplesoft HR application has SSH columns which is not
              >> encrypted in our system. I am wondering do you have any knowledge on how
              >> to encrypt the SSH column in peoplesoft environment? What kind of
              >> options do we have to handle the SSH security issues?
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >>
              >> Joan

            • Nicolas Gasparotto
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 15, 2010
                Jon,

                What level of encryption are you looking for ? Transparent data encryption available on 10g version encrypt data in datafile (that won't be in clear in datafile) but still readable - in clear - through SQL*Plus (for instance) and in that case, nothing to do on Peoplesoft side.

                Nicolas.

                On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Joan Hsieh <joan.hsieh@...> wrote:

                Thanks, But how it works in peoplesoft application? Does column
                encryption handle by hr peoplesoft application?

                Jon

                On 6/15/2010 7:13 AM, smontgomerie wrote:
                > Hi Joan,
                > Oracle has the Advanced Security Option (ASO) which can encrypt columns in Oracle 10 and tables in Oracle 11. Look at the ASO guide for more information. The list price is about $12,000/processor for this option.
                >
                > --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, Joan Hsieh<joan.hsieh@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Hi Listers,
                >>
                >> The tables of peoplesoft HR application has SSH columns which is not
                >> encrypted in our system. I am wondering do you have any knowledge on how
                >> to encrypt the SSH column in peoplesoft environment? What kind of
                >> options do we have to handle the SSH security issues?
                >>
                >> Thanks,
                >>
                >> Joan

              • Montgomerie, Steve (GSS NA)
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 15, 2010
                  It's transparent to Peoplesoft. Once you are authenticated to the
                  Application
                  you can view the data. Commonly refered to data at rest. This means if
                  someone
                  gets a database file then they can't hack the file to view the contents
                  of
                  encrypted data.

                  SIEMENS
                  Global Shared Services, North America
                  "A division of Siemens Corporation"
                  3500 Quadrangle Blvd Orlando, Florida 32817

                  Steve Montgomerie
                  Oracle / Peoplesoft / OBI Administrator
                  Tel: 407 487 5219

                  Mobile: 407-925-4179

                  read my Oracle Blog (Siemens Internal Only)
                  https://blogs.eps.siemens.com/sebs/steve.montgomerie/

                  Thanks, But how it works in peoplesoft application? Does column
                  encryption handle by hr peoplesoft application?

                  Jon

                  On 6/15/2010 7:13 AM, smontgomerie wrote:
                  > Hi Joan,
                  > Oracle has the Advanced Security Option (ASO) which can encrypt
                  columns in Oracle 10 and tables in Oracle 11. Look at the ASO guide for
                  more information. The list price is about $12,000/processor for this
                  option.

                  > --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, Joan Hsieh<joan.hsieh@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hi Listers,
                  >>
                  >> The tables of peoplesoft HR application has SSH columns which is not
                  >> encrypted in our system. I am wondering do you have any knowledge on
                  how
                  >> to encrypt the SSH column in peoplesoft environment? What kind of
                  >> options do we have to handle the SSH security issues?
                  >>
                  >> Thanks,
                  >>
                  >> Joan

                • Joan Hsieh
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 15, 2010
                    Nicolas,

                    So as DBA in peoplesoft environment, we have to use ORACLE ASO to solve this issue, not through the application level to handle the column security?

                    Thanks,

                    Joan

                    On 6/15/2010 11:35 AM, Nicolas Gasparotto wrote:
                    Jon,

                    What level of encryption are you looking for ? Transparent data encryption available on 10g version encrypt data in datafile (that won't be in clear in datafile) but still readable - in clear - through SQL*Plus (for instance) and in that case, nothing to do on Peoplesoft side.

                    Nicolas.

                    On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Joan Hsieh <joan.hsieh@...> wrote:

                    Thanks, But how it works in peoplesoft application? Does column
                    encryption handle by hr peoplesoft application?

                    Jon

                    On 6/15/2010 7:13 AM, smontgomerie wrote:
                    > Hi Joan,
                    > Oracle has the Advanced Security Option (ASO) which can encrypt columns in Oracle 10 and tables in Oracle 11. Look at the ASO guide for more information. The list price is about $12,000/processor for this option.
                    >
                    > --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, Joan Hsieh<joan.hsieh@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hi Listers,
                    >>
                    >> The tables of peoplesoft HR application has SSH columns which is not
                    >> encrypted in our system. I am wondering do you have any knowledge on how
                    >> to encrypt the SSH column in peoplesoft environment? What kind of
                    >> options do we have to handle the SSH security issues?
                    >>
                    >> Thanks,
                    >>
                    >> Joan

                  • Joan Hsieh
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 15, 2010
                      Thanks, I am wondering how many company they encrypted the ssn columns
                      in peoplesoft HR environment. Please let me if you did through oracle ASO.

                      Joan

                    • Montgomerie, Steve (GSS NA)
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 15, 2010
                        I'm working on it! We have ASO as part of a global agreement with
                        Oracle.
                        I'm waiting on a business analyst to help identify sensitive
                        information.

                        I'll let you know how it goes. Be careful to read through the ASO guide
                        carefully
                        as there are caveats with Oracle 10 and 11. Make sure you understand all
                        the ins and outs
                        so to speak.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 15, 2010
                          I am not aware of any companies where this is the case.  And I have worked with about 30 companies.

                          I know some companies have used masking at the user interface level, but the information remains on the DB, unencrypted.  The access is usually limited to a small handful of people, all of whom have signed data privacy disclosures, and aware of the legal and financial penalties for disclosing the information.

                          hope this helps.

                          To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
                          CC: steve.montgomerie@...
                          From: joan.hsieh@...
                          Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:26:26 -0400

                          Thanks, I am wondering how many company they encrypted the ssn columns
                          in peoplesoft HR environment. Please let me if you did through oracle ASO.

                          Joan

                          On 6/15/2010 11:36 AM, Montgomerie, Steve (GSS NA) wrote:
                          > It's transparent to Peoplesoft. Once you are authenticated to the
                          > Application
                          > you can view the data. Commonly refered to data at rest. This means if
                          > someone
                          > gets a database file then they can't hack the file to view the contents
                          > of
                          > encrypted data.

                          > SIEMENS
                          > Global Shared Services, North America
                          > "A division of Siemens Corporation"
                          > 3500 Quadrangle Blvd Orlando, Florida 32817
                          >

                          > Steve Montgomerie
                          > Oracle / Peoplesoft / OBI Administrator
                          > Tel: 407 487 5219
                          >
                          > Mobile: 407-925-4179
                          >
                          > read my Oracle Blog (Siemens Internal Only)
                          > https://blogs.eps.siemens.com/sebs/steve.montgomerie/

                        • Nicolas Gasparotto