Few PSAPPSRV services are not getting utilised.

  • chris_psadm
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2010
      We are running 2 application servers & started 10 PSAPPSRV services ( 5 for each application server)What we have observerd is 2 PSAPPSRV services on one of the application server are used less ( Checked from server status from psadmin menu).For example - 3 PSAPPSRV are doing load of 20,000 requsts & in same time other 2 are doing somewhere around 700 requests, I believe all the PSAPPSRV services should be used evenly. i.e. they should performs same number of reqests, not sure why we are seeing this difference. If anyone can tell what could be the reason or issue please let us know.

      Versions - PeopleTools - 8.49.13 HRMS 8.9

      Thanks,
      Chris.
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2010
        The distribution of load between application servers connected to the same
        web servers is not perfect, whether you specify a load for each app servers
        or not. You will tend to get some imbalance.

        Within a Tuxedo domain the load is also not evenly shared by all servers on
        a queue. You tend to see the requests go to the first server process that
        it idle. What you describe with service counts on the PSAPPSRVs is
        perfectly normal. It is easier and therefore cheaper (in processing terms)
        for Tuxedo to give the request first free server than balancing everything
        out or going in a round robin.

        Don't worry about this. It is not hurting your performance.

        DBA Blogs: PeopleSoft: http://blog.psftdba.com, Oracle:
        http://blog.go-faster.co.uk

        Message 3 of 8 , May 12, 2010
          Guys, gals and aliens;

          I have a non-prod environment PSUNX process scheduler that was working fine until yesterday about noon, then it dropped off the grid - Some one discovered this today - in the process monitor the PSUNX was listed as being still running, but the heartbeat was a little over 24 hours old.  In any case - logged onto the server and tried to bring it down (was already down) then cleared cache and IPCs and tried to bring it up.  No luck.  It gave me an error message : /usr/lib/pa20_64/dld.sl: Unable to find library 'libpsbtunicode.sl'. .  So, I check tnsping and everything is fine, and I try to recompile the configuration and get the following error message:
          Generating new configuration...
          /usr/lib/pa20_64/dld.sl: Unable to find library 'libjvm_v2.sl'.
          sh: 9468 Killed
          UBBGEN encountered an error while configuring!

          I can not guarantee that nothing changed on the server since I work with a group of a couple of dozen, and I can only vouch for my own actions.

          I am going to be searching PS support site, but figured I had a better chance of getting a timely solution here from the world wide interweb's throbbing brain.

          thanks in advance for any help I get.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 12, 2010
            Has the domain been reconfigured recently?
            This sounds like an environmental problem.  Tuxedo can't find the path to the Tuxedo libraries.
            The full paths end up as literals in the ubb and hence the PSTUXCFG file, so if the environment may have been wrong the last time the domain ran properly.
            Take a look in the psprcs.ubb file (or tmunloadfg the PSTUXCFG file)

            Message 5 of 8 , May 12, 2010
              David,

              Thanks for the reply.

              Has the domain been reconfigured recently?  -- Who knows - we have teams around here that seem to do things at random without any communication

              This sounds like an environmental problem.  Tuxedo can't find the path to the Tuxedo libraries.  --  OK

              The full paths end up as literals in the ubb and hence the PSTUXCFG file, so if the environment may have been wrong the last time the domain ran properly.  This env has been up and running for months, if not years (well, not continuously, as there have been bounces)

              Take a look in the psprcs.ubb file (or tmunloadfg the PSTUXCFG file)  -- Looking in there; any hints on what I should be looking for?

              BTW, if I try to start the domain now I get the following:

              Starting Process Scheduler Server PSUNX for Database HDRIHRU2 ...

              The Tuxedo configuration file PSTUXCFG was not found.
              Detected the Process Scheduler hasn't been configured to
              start from Tuxedo.  Please use option 3 from the Process
              Scheduler Administration menu to generate the Tuxedo
              configuration file.

              To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
              From: david.kurtz@...
              Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 20:10:48 +0100

              Has the domain been reconfigured recently?
              This sounds like an environmental problem.  Tuxedo can't find the path to the Tuxedo libraries.
              The full paths end up as literals in the ubb and hence the PSTUXCFG file, so if the environment may have been wrong the last time the domain ran properly.
              Take a look in the psprcs.ubb file (or tmunloadfg the PSTUXCFG file)

              regards
              ____________ _________ ____
              mailto:david. kurtz@go- faster.co. uk
              web: www.go-faster. co.uk
              Book: PeopleSoft for the Oracle DBA: http://www.psftdba. com
              DBA Blogs: PeopleSoft: http://blog. psftdba.com, Oracle: http://blog. go-faster. co.uk
              PeopleSoft DBA Forum: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/psftdba

              Message 6 of 8 , May 12, 2010
                In the machine section of the UBB you get various paths set.
                This is how it is on my laptop.  Are your values what you expect?

                *MACHINES
                "GO-FASTER-4" LMID="GO-FASTER-4"                           # Machine name must be upper case
                        TUXDIR="d:\ps\bea\Tuxedo8.1"                      # Paths cannot end in '\'
                        APPDIR="D:\ps\hcm8.9\appserv\prcs\HCM89"
                        TUXCONFIG="D:\ps\hcm8.9\appserv\prcs\HCM89\PSTUXCFG"
                        ULOGPFX="D:\ps\hcm8.9\appserv\prcs\HCM89\LOGS\TUXLOG"
                        ENVFILE="D:\ps\hcm8.9\appserv\prcs\HCM89\psprcsrv.env"

                Further down there is a "ubbgen substitution values" report you can see the environment variables at the time the ubb was generated.

                # [ 5]:                                            {$TUXDIR}:  d:\ps\bea\Tuxedo8.1
                # [ 6]:                                        {$PS_SERVDIR}:  D:\ps\hcm8.9\appserv\prcs\HCM89
                # [ 7]:                                         {$TUXCONFIG}:  D:\ps\hcm8.9\appserv\prcs\HCM89\PSTUXCFG
                # [22]:                                           {$PS_HOME}:  D:\ps\hcm8.9
                # [23]:                           {$Process Scheduler\DBBIN}:  D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_2\BIN
                # [24]:                       {$Tuxedo Settings\Add to PATH}:  C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

                Message 7 of 8 , May 12, 2010
                  I think everything is fine.  There are a bunch of other Unix paths too, which I didn't copy here.

                  *MACHINES
                  "ti1uh214" LMID="ti1uh214"                           # Machine name must be upper case
                          TUXDIR="/usr/local/tuxedo/9.1"                      # Paths cannot end in '\'
                          APPDIR="/u03/app/psoft/HDRIHRU2/appserv/prcs/HDRIHRU2:"    # Append the PS LLP
                          TUXCONFIG="/u03/app/psoft/HDRIHRU2/appserv/prcs/HDRIHRU2/PSTUXCFG"
                          ULOGPFX="/u03/app/psoft/HDRIHRU2/appserv/prcs/HDRIHRU2/LOGS/TUXLOG"
                          ENVFILE="/u03/app/psoft/HDRIHRU2/appserv/prcs/HDRIHRU2/psprcsrv.env"

                  # [ 6]:                                            {$TUXDIR}:  /usr/local/tuxedo/9.1
                  # [ 7]:                                        {$PS_SERVDIR}:  /u03/app/psoft/HDRIHRU2/appserv/prcs/HDRIHRU2
                  # [ 8]:                                        {$PS_LIBPATH}:
                  # [ 9]:                                         {$TUXCONFIG}:  /u03/app/psoft/HDRIHRU2/appserv/prcs/HDRIHRU2/PS
                  TUXCFG
                  # [26]:                                           {$PS_HOME}:  /u03/app/psoft/HDRIHRU2
                  # [31]:                       {$Tuxedo Settings\Add to PATH}:  /u03/app/psoft/HDRIHRU2/cblbin

                  peace,
                  clark 'the dragon' willi

                  To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                • varanasi subrahmanyam
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 12, 2010
                    Since too many people have access to the Unix Server, the file/directory permissions might have changed by mistake by some one. Please check the file permissions on the directories/files and make sure that the ID that use to bring up the process scheduler has the right permissions.