free space releted.

  • Sanesh Kale
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3 12:37 AM
      Dear All DBA's

      Any one knows.

      In my database total size of table is 25GB.  I have deleted 50% rows of the table.
      but it doesn't show the free space of removed rows in that tablespace.
      after deleting row the tablespace shows same used space.

      how it is ? any one know pls reply me.

      Regard & Thanks,
      Sanesh Kale
      sanesh.kale@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3 10:33 AM
        That is how Oracle works.  If you have DELETEd rows, space allocated to the segment (table and any indexes) is not relinquished.
        To relinquish space back to the tablespace you have to drop the objects, or truncate the tables (which will relinquish space allocated to extent other than the first extent in the segments).

        DBA Blogs: PeopleSoft: http://blog.psftdba.com, Oracle: http://blog.go-faster.co.uk