RE: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Partitioning instead of archiving

  • Senthilkumar Narayanan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 26, 2009
      hp has a wonderful archive product(HP Database archive) for Peoplesoft where you can view all the archive data from PIA. The product is having in build program for all important peoplesoft modules and GL is one among many.

      Thanks
      Senthil

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 26, 2009
        Willem,

        I have partitioned PS_JRNL_LN by JOURNAL_DAT. Partitioning this
        table helps in reducing reads in queries that join up with this table.
        Our PS_JRNL_LN table is 89GB in size.

        PARTITION BY RANGE (JOURNAL_DATE).

        Regards,

        Shaji.

      • Willem.Leenen@ingrealestate.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 26, 2009

          Ok, thanks for this. I checked our environment, the table segment is 43Gb, the index-segment almost 12. I’ll check how much % the partitioning will make on this.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 26, 2009
            Willem,

            Partitioning is primarily for performance reasons. It also helps
            to archive the table in a non-peoplesoft way which we use here where I
            work. I quickly checked my indexes and I have 5 on this table
            totalling upto 72gb in size.

            In case you can use the peoplesoft archiving method to move data
            into history tables, then do that first and then compress those tables
            if you are using oracle 10g. I compressed lots of my history tables
            that are static and got a very good compression ratio. Most tables
            reduced to 1/10th of its original size. As long as the data does not
            change going forward, this will be a very good option.