See if app servers are up from SQL

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hello,
      We are PT 849 and Oracle 10.2.0.

      Lets say I have a physical server with three application domains
      connecting to the same db. Is their a way through SQL where I can see
      if all 3 app servers are up?

      Thanks

      Steve
    • babaliviu
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2008
        Hi Steve,

        I don't think this is a good practice, but is feasible to some extent.
        Each App Server domain has a bunch of processes and most of them have
        persistent sessions at database level.
        If you have PSAPPSRV MinInstances = MaxInstances on each App Server
        Domain, then you could check something like:

        select count(*)
        from v$session
        where PROGRAM like 'PSAPPSRV%'
        and get the total number of PSAPPSRV processes (from 3 App Server
        domains).

        It would be more relevant having the App Server domains on different
        boxes, because of the v$session.MACHINE column.

        Regards,
        Liviu

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2008
          There are reasons to have multiple application server domains on the same
          server.
          - separate pub/sub domain
          - separate app servers for back office and self service users (you
          also need different PIAs), with the self service domain running at a reduced
          OS priority.
          - if you want more than 8 to 10 PSAPPSRV processes (because you will
          get contention on the IPC queue) in a single domain and don't want to
          configure a multi-queue domain

          To address the original question, it depends what you mean by 'the
          application server is up'.
          * A domain must have at least one server process capable of handling the
          incoming requests (usually PSAPPSRV process). You can look at v$session to
          see if the server process is connected, but you couldn't tell if the server
          had hung (although that is rare).
          * The JSL process must be up and listening. And that process does not
          connect to the database
          * The must be an available client handle on the JSH processes. And that
          process does not connect to the database either.

          DBA Blogs: PeopleSoft: http://blog.psftdba.com, Oracle:
          http://blog.go-faster.co.uk

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
            We are using FSCM 90 (MP6 B15) and our (OK MY) security policy is to not use delivered security objects, such as roles and permission lists, but to create specific permission lists and roles which more tightly match our end user needs while maintaining a security model that doesn't have too much and needs to be evaluated every upgrade.

            We are currently using AM, AP, PO/epro, GL and PC.  This question is for the AM module - there is some configuration setting somewhere (akin to the e-pro role to role action linking) which is requiring the role Financial Asset Manager be assigned to someone.  What I have had to do is take the delivered role and strip everything out of it to make the system work.  What I want to do is assign the internally created role whereever it is defined, which is a piece of information no one appears to possess.

            I think this is a configuration/data issue because a searck of the peoplesoft objects using application designer does not return any values at all, so I am reasonably certain it's not something that is hard-coded in the tools layer.

            Anyone that has any information about this, or ideas on how to track down the information I am seeking, it would be greatly appreciated.

            PSA: Salary <> Slavery. If you earn a salary, your employer is renting your services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be recovered, so don't waste it by giving it away.

            I work to live; I don't live to work.

            "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you." -- Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

            It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -- William G. McAdoo

            Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca

            "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

            Send e-mail anywhere. No map, no compass. Get your HotmailĀ® account now.