Experience of Migrating from PeopleSoft

  • aidy_garratt
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2008
      My company is currently migrating from a PeopleSoft 8.4 Financials
      (PeopleTools 8.48.08) on a Mainframe / DB2 installation to Oracle
      Financials R12 on Oracle / Unix.

      Data is being migrated at a totals and open items level, but our users
      will require access to transaction level data in PeopleSoft for some
      time. One option is to move this data to a new reposity and build new
      report queries.

      I am specifically interested in options for keeping PeopleSoft data
      and queries in its existing format but not it its existing environment.
      So can it be easily ported, hosted, etc.

      If you have any time to share your thoughts or experiences I would be
      delighted to hear from you.

      Thanks,
      Aid.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2008
        You have basically one/two options - build scripts to export and import the data.  But first, you need to build a target environment on the new hardware.  You could also use datamover, but that would take a long time, and you need to get the order correct.

        Best bet?  Leave it where it is and have a definite "go dead" date.  Then keep a backup on tape in case regulators need access to it in the future.

        BTW, congratulations on moving into the 21st century!

        PSA: Salary <> Slavery. If you earn a salary, your employer is renting your services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be recovered, so don't waste it by giving it away.

        I work to live; I don't live to work.

        "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you." -- Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

        It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -- William G. McAdoo

        Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca

        "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony