Oracle 11g upgrade tips?

  • Omdahl, Kristin
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2008
      We planning to upgrade our HRMS and Help Desk databases from Oracle 9.2 to 11g and was wondering if anyone out there has done an 11g upgrade. Do you have any suggestions, tips or gotchas you can share? What kind of changes to the application did you have to make? What kind of testing did you do? Did you have a smooth transition?

      We are on PT 8.48 and application release 8.9.

      Thanks,
      Kristin Omdahl
      Medtronic, Inc.

      [CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE]

      Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is private, privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your records.

      To view this notice in other languages you can either select the following link or manually copy and paste the link into the address bar of a web browser: http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com
    • shajivps
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2008
        Kristin,

        I havent seen anyone post here regarding upgrade to oracle 11g. We
        had the choice to use 11g when we started our upgrade process 6 months
        back. But decided to go with 10.2.0.3 since 11g was fairly new.
        Didnt have any issues on 10g so far. We are going live next month.

        Please post your experience on upgrade to 11g for psoft 9. Good luck.

        Regards,

        Shaji Sahadevan
        Perot Systems/ CVS Pharmacy.

        --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Omdahl, Kristin"
        <kristin.l.omdahl@...> wrote:

        > We planning to upgrade our HRMS and Help Desk databases from Oracle
        9.2 to 11g and was wondering if anyone out there has done an 11g
        upgrade. Do you have any suggestions, tips or gotchas you can share?
        What kind of changes to the application did you have to make? What
        kind of testing did you do? Did you have a smooth transition?

        > We are on PT 8.48 and application release 8.9.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Kristin Omdahl
        > Medtronic, Inc.
        >

        > [CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE]
        >
        > Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic
        and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it
        is addressed, and may contain information that is private, privileged,
        confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you
        are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been
        forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any
        use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly
        prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your records.

        > To view this notice in other languages you can either select the
        following link or manually copy and paste the link into the address
        bar of a web browser: http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com

      • Shaun
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
          Hi Kristin,

          We have just completed an upgrade to 11g (PT 8.48, Release 9.0 ).

          I would not call it a smooth transition, we've hit a number of bugs and performance impacts, but overall I think there are massive improvements, particularly in OLTP.

          We are still trying to fix many things (Go-Live was 1st September), so I won't post the details just yet, but we am working directly with Oracle to get these addressed ASAP.

          One thing: We decided to commit to Linux, and this caused the decision to go 11g.   Linux has brought massive server response time improvements (PSping is now: 0.4 browser, 0.02 Web, 0.14 App, 0.01 DB ! ), but there are implications on the 10g client - hangs on linux unless you're on 10.2.0.4 (known bug), which then had other implications for our SQR's.

          If you or anyone intends to go 11g on linux, let me know and I'll try and post a full update.

          Shaun Lindsay
          University of Cambridge

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
            Shaun,

            Can you please go ahead and post your experience on 11g on Linux for
            peoplesoft ? It will be good information for anyone using 11g whether
            its linux or not.

            Also, specifically, how to you capture oracle statistics (dbms_stats)
            in 11g for peoplesoft ? Are you using the default scheduler job that
            gets started when you build the database OR running a custom one ?
            Its more of an issue when your db is big. I have a 1.4TB finance
            database and I am using custom code to achieve this instead of the
            built-in job. I would like to know how others are handling this.
            Please let us know the size of the database as this is what is driving
            us to use custom code.

            Thanks,

            Shaji Sahadevan
            Perot Systems/CVS Pharmacy.

            --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, Shaun <shaundl@...> wrote:

            > Hi Kristin,
            >
            > We have just completed an upgrade to 11g (PT 8.48, Release 9.0 ).
            >
            > I would not call it a smooth transition, we've hit a number of bugs
            and performance impacts, but overall I think there are massive
            improvements, particularly in OLTP.

            > We are still trying to fix many things (Go-Live was 1st September),
            so I won't post the details just yet, but we am working directly with
            Oracle to get these addressed ASAP.

            > One thing: We decided to commit to Linux, and this caused the
            decision to go 11g. Linux has brought massive server response time
            improvements (PSping is now: 0.4 browser, 0.02 Web, 0.14 App, 0.01 DB
            ! ), but there are implications on the 10g client - hangs on linux
            unless you're on 10.2.0.4 (known bug), which then had other
            implications for our SQR's.

            > If you or anyone intends to go 11g on linux, let me know and I'll
            try and post a full update.

            > Shaun Lindsay
            > University of Cambridge

          • T
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 9, 2008
              Hi Shaun,

              We are planning to move to Linux and 11g. We are on PTools 8.48 and Release 9.0 for CRM and SCM.
              Could you please post the details of issues and fixes you found?

              Thanks in advance for your help,

              Toby

              Get the name you've always wanted ! @... or @....