Upgrading Cobol Compiler for peopleTools

  • chris_psadm
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 16, 2008
      Hi Tech-folks ,
      I am looking at upgrading Peopletools from 8.46 to 8.49. I found out
      from customer connection that for PT 8.49 it needs upgradation of
      Cobol compiler to minimum of 4.0 SP2 & also upgradation of JVM to
      1.5.0. I know cobol compiler & JVM falls under Operating system
      functions but I want to do it on my own. I am little worried about
      cobol compiler upgradation, If someone can guide me how it is done ,
      it will be helpful.

      Thanks ...
      Chris.

      Work what you are capable of..Dont try to be too smart & get screwed.
    • Gus Fisher
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 16, 2008
        On windows it is easy

        On UNIX you need the root password

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 17, 2008
          Hi Chris,

          Are you using Micro Focus server express 4 sp2 ?

          1.Please follow the patch doc and install the cobol upgrade

          After the upgrade

          2.Restart the license manager
          3.Also recompile and relink all the cobols

          Regards,
          Prasad

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 17, 2008
            You can also install on UNIX via sudo.

            --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Gus Fisher" <gusfish@...> wrote:

            > On windows it is easy
            >
            > On UNIX you need the root password

            > From: "chris_psadm" <chris_psadm@...>
            >
            > Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:11:30
            > To: <psftdba@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: PeopleSoft DBA Forum Upgrading Cobol Compiler for
            peopleTools

            > Hi Tech-folks ,
            > I am looking at upgrading Peopletools from 8.46 to 8.49. I found
            out
            > from customer connection that for PT 8.49 it needs upgradation of
            > Cobol compiler to minimum of 4.0 SP2 & also upgradation of JVM to
            > 1.5.0. I know cobol compiler & JVM falls under Operating system
            > functions but I want to do it on my own. I am little worried about
            > cobol compiler upgradation, If someone can guide me how it is
            done ,
            > it will be helpful.
            >
            > Thanks ...
            > Chris.
            >

            > Work what you are capable of..Dont try to be too smart & get
            screwed.

          • Bob Joye
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 18, 2008
              Below is my cheat sheet for installing COBOL on Solaris:

              INSTALL as ROOT or use SUDO!

              cd /global/app/psoft/software/se40sp2

              sudo sh ./setup.sh

              y - Do you agree to the terms of the License Agreement?

              3) Sun SPARC running Solaris 8/9/10 32/64-bit

              y - Do you want to continue?

              1) Server Express Development System - 32/64-bit -
              PRN=RXCTH/AAM:9i.T4.40.01

              y - Do you want to continue?

              /opt/microfocus/cobol/sx40sp2-64bit

              y - /opt/microfocus/cobol/sx40sp2-64bit does not exist, do you want
              to create it?

              y - Do you want to continue?

              return

              space, space, space, space, space, space, space, space, space, space,
              space, space, space

              y - Please confirm your understanding of the above reference
              environment details

              n - Do you want to make use of COBOL and Java working together?

              y - Would you like to install LMF now?

              /opt/microfocus/cobol/mflmf40sp2

              y - /opt/microfocus/cobol/mflmf40sp2 does not exist do you wish to
              create it ?

              n - Do you want only superuser to be able to access the License Admin
              System?

              y - Do you want license manager to be automatically started at boot
              time?

              64 - Please enter either 32 or 64 to set the system default mode.

              n - Do you want to install the Enterprise Server Development System -
              J2EE, Web Services, etc.?

              Install the ULP - Unlimited License Patch

              COBDIR=/opt/microfocus/cobol/sx40sp2-64bit; export COBDIR

              echo $COBDIR

              cd /global/app/psoft/software/se40sp2_Extras/ULP

              psauto64

              Verify ULP

              cd $COBDIR/aslmf

              apptrack