Re: Data Pump for Peoplesoft database

  • leavens_summit
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2008
      Even with a well tuned database datapump will be slow because the DDL
      portion cannot be done in parallel. Only data loading can be done in
      parallel. Since PeopleSoft apps have many tables, many of zero
      length, it cannot take advantage of the parallel capabilities of
      Datapump, which is the main reason datapump is faster than the older
      import/export. In my experience unless you have some extremely large
      tables where imp/exp takes a significant portion of time in the data
      load/unload you will see minimal gains moving to datapump. Unless we
      need to use datapump for moving between platforms, we generally
      duplicate the database from a backup via RMAN, which runs in less than
      10% of the time for a datapump. Datapump is good for moving big
      tables around though.

      Good Luck
      John Leavens
      ApexIT