RE: PeopleSoft DBA Forum idea

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
      my gut feel would be a network hiccough. But, who knows. You've given us no information about your paltform and environment, so it could be anything from solar flares through gremlins.

      PSA: Salary <> Slavery. If you earn a salary, your employer is renting your services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be recovered, so don't waste it by giving it away.

      I work to live; I don't live to work.

      "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you." -- Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

      It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -- William G. McAdoo

      Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca

      "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

      ________________________________

      Hi,

      Our client has reported apperv is not avaiable this morning around 9:00
      am. The problem was immediately went away later. I checked the appser
      log and found from 8:58 to 9:00 am, there are no entry within these 2
      min. and that's where the client had problem to log on. Do you have any
      idea why the log was not been written at that time?

      Thanks so much,

      Joan

      PSAPPSRV.872506 (3179) [06/02/08 08:58:07
      MGONCA02@... (IE 6.0; WINXP)
      ICPanel](3) Releasing all An
      alytic Resources
      PSAPPSRV.872506 (3203) [06/02/08 09:00:14
      SGIBSO01@... (IE 6.0; WINXP)
      ICPanel](3) Releasing all An
      alytic Resources

      http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?souce=EML_WL_ GoodCause
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
        Are you running the analytic servers? (Although I realise that this message
        appears to come from the PSAPPSRVs).

      • Joan Hsieh
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
          Hi David,

          we are not running the analytic servers. Indeed, the message came from
          the paappservs. I am just wondering why the appser log was empty from
          time 08:58:07 to 09:00:14. It should record every seconds activitities
          there. Any cause can you think of?

          Thanks,

          Joan

          David Kurtz wrote:

          > Are you running the analytic servers? (Although I realise that this message
          > appears to come from the PSAPPSRVs).
          >
          > regards
          > _________________________
          > David Kurtz
          > Go-Faster Consultancy Ltd.

        • Joan Hsieh
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
            I forgot to mention that the exactly error that the user got is on their
            logon screen, said appser is down. Appser is up all the time actually.
            The users can logon short after. The problem seems fixed by itself, but
            no one knows the reason.

            Joan

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
              'Application Server is Down' can be caused, amongst other things, by running
              out of JSH handles.

              JSL/JSH are tuxedo processes and log errors to the tuxlog. Only PeopleSoft
              code logs to APPSRV.log.
              It might be worth checking both for the problem period.

              The maximum number of concurrent PIA sessions that can connect to a Tuxedo
              domain is the maximum number of JSH handlers multiplied by the number of
              clients per handler.

              This includes sessions where the user has terminated the browser without
              logging out. They will eventually be timed out on reaching either the PIA
              inactivity timeout, or the JSH inactivity timeout, whichever be the least.

            • Joan Hsieh
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
                Thanks David,

                Your explanation really make sense. I have checked the tuxedo log, from
                8:58 to 9:05, all the messages are JOLT_CAT:1175 dISCONNECTING LISTENER
                CONNECTION TO jOLT CLIENT, but I do have one more question, according to
                our client, after 9:01 the problem was gone and the appser.log start to
                have entries, why the tuxedo "disconnecting" messages last to 9:05?

                Thanks again,

                Joan

                085708.admprod!JSH.1228954.1.-2: JOLT_CAT:1185: "INFO: Userid: [],
                Clientid: [] timed out due to inactivity"
                085708.admprod!JSH.1228954.1.-2: JOLT_CAT:1198: "WARN: Forced shutdown
                of client; user name ''; client name ''"
                085734.admprod!JSH.372976.1.-2: JOLT_CAT:1185: "INFO: Userid: [],
                Clientid: [] timed out due to inactivity"
                085734.admprod!JSH.372976.1.-2: JOLT_CAT:1198: "WARN: Forced shutdown of
                client; user name ''; client name ''"
                085742.admprod!JSL.1253452.1.0: JOLT_CAT:1175: "WARN: Disconnecting
                listener connection to Jolt client, request timed out"
                085748.admprod!JSL.1253452.1.0: JOLT_CAT:1175: "WARN: Disconnecting
                listener connection to Jolt client, request timed out"
                085803.admprod!JSL.1253452.1.0: JOLT_CAT:1175: "WARN: Disconnecting

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
                  A possible scenario suggested by the JOLT_CAT:1175 messages is that you ran
                  out of JSH handlers due to an earlier problem, and it started to clear as
                  the JSL sessions started to timeout.

                  DBA Blogs: PeopleSoft: http://blog.psftdba.com, Oracle:
                  http://blog.go-faster.co.uk

                • Joan Hsieh
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
                    Hi David,

                    Thank you so much. You are really an expert.

                    Regards,

                    Joan