PeopleSoft DBA Forum: Where to find performance problems

  • H NG
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2008

      Hi all,

      We have two PeopleSoft environments. With the following settings in init.ora (just the difference appears here).

      ENV1

      db_16k_cache_size: 150M
      db_cache_size: 850M

      pga_aggregate_target 62M

      query_rewrite_enabled FALSE

      sga_max_size 1200M

      ENV2

      db_16k_cache_size: 16M
      db_cache_size: 800M
      pga_aggregate_target 1277M
      query_rewrite_enabled TRUE
      sga_max_size 500M

      ENV1 seems very fast compare to ENV2

      Requests seems to take triple times in ENV2 compare to ENV1

      From your experience and knowledge, which parameters should be change?

      Are there other parameters to check in application server, process scheduler or PIA for example?

      Thanks.

      http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2008
        There is more to speed than init settings, although if you could make the setting the same, then you could eliminate those as a bottleneck.  What are the differences in hardware, especially RAM and number of CPUs as well as the *load* on each system?  Additionally, are these environments isolated, or are they sharing resources with other environments.  What about statistics?  How often on each system?

        PSA: Salary <> Slavery. If you earn a salary, your employer is renting your services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be recovered, so don't waste it by giving it away.

        I work to live; I don't live to work.

        "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you." -- Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

        It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -- William G. McAdoo

        Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca

        "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

        Hi all,

        We have two PeopleSoft environments. With the following settings in init.ora (just the difference appears here).

        ENV1

        db_16k_cache_ size: 150M
        db_cache_size: 850M

        pga_aggregate_ target 62M

        query_rewrite_ enabled FALSE

        sga_max_size 1200M

        ENV2

        db_16k_cache_ size: 16M
        db_cache_size: 800M
        pga_aggregate_ target 1277M
        query_rewrite_ enabled TRUE
        sga_max_size 500M

        ENV1 seems very fast compare to ENV2

        Requests seems to take triple times in ENV2 compare to ENV1

        From your experience and knowledge, which parameters should be change?

        Are there other parameters to check in application server, process scheduler or PIA for example?

        Thanks.

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail