Re: SUN T2000 performance issues

  • Giri Mandalika
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2008
      Bob,

      What is the status of this issue on T2000? Were you able to resolve it?

      >> The query will also run fast if scheduled on the DB
      server, a V490.

      Is that a batch job? If not, how are you scheduling it to run on the DB server? Did you create an app server domain on the database server node?

      >> It only runs slow (5 minutes) when ran via the app server
      on the T2000.

      It doesn't sound right. Even in the worst case (saturated single thread, 1.8 GHz processor on old Sun hardware; and 1 GHz US-T1 processor in T2000), I wouldn't expect T2000 to take more than 3 and half minutes to complete the task. It looks like something else is going on the system.

      What is the processor speed on this T2000 - 1 GHz, 1.2 GHz  or 1.4 GHz? Did anyone monitor the system with standard Solaris tools like vmstat, prstat?

      BTW, I work for Sun; and I have access to PeopleTools 8.48 with HRMS on top it. If the performance issue is easy to reproduce, I'm interested in reproducing it in our labs. So if you could post the instructions, that'd be great.

      >> SUN says we should use the following parameters they
      published for tools 8.46: ...

      Note that the recommended parameters are pretty generic configuration parameters for the PeopleSoft Enterprise. Just because the notes appeared on Sun's web site, it doesn't necessarily imply that Sun is recommending those configuration parameters to improve PeopleSoft Enterprise's performance on CMT hardware like T2000. Use discretion when adopting those recommended parameters.

      >> [Robert Ellis] I found for web servers they are pretty good
      bit for app servers, process scheduler, or database no good at all.

      I believe lack of CMT awareness leads to very broad statements like these. As I mentioned earlier, we do have our own PeopleSoft environment; and we conduct performance and sizing studies on different hardware including the CMT hardware. Based on the data I've seen so far, I can confidently say that Sun's CMT hardware is a good fit for deploying the complete PeopleSoft Enterprise. The web, application, batch (process scheduler) and the database servers showed good performance on CMT hardware. The only drawback with batch workloads: the work must be split up into multiple parallel jobs in order to achieve good throughput and better elapsed times.
      --

      Did anyone realize that T2000 is a two and half year old product? Since then Sun released two different types of CMT systems: (i) T5220 with one UltraSPARC-T2 processor and, (ii) T5240 (SMP) with two UltraSPARC-T2 Plus processors.

      - Giri

      --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Joye" <rmjoye@...> wrote:

      > We are implementing PeopleTools 8.49 using a SUN T2000 for the
      > app/web server. We are experience performance issues running a query
      > to excel. The query runs fast (30 seconds) in our old tools version,
      > 8.46 on our old Sun servers, a v210 I believe. The query will also
      > run fast if scheduled on the DB server, a V490. I set up an appserver
      > on a V880 and connected it to the same database with then new tools,
      > 8.49 and the query ran fast. It only runs slow (5 minutes) when ran
      > via the app server on the T2000. SQL traces show the sql executing in
      > 10 seconds or less.
      >
      > PeopleSoft is now saying they have had multiple calls of clients
      > complaining about performance issues with the T2000 server.
      >
      > SUN says we should use the following parameters they published for
      > tools 8.46:
      >
      > PeopleTools
      >
      > - Disabled the PPM
      > - Min Handlers=9
      > - Max Handlers=9
      > - Max Clients per Handler=45
      > - REPLYQ=Y
      > Web Server
      >
      > - Webserver Configuration:
      > Threadcount=100
      > Compressrespose=N
      > Database
      >
      > Change in init.ora file:
      > - optimizer_mode = FIRST_ROWS
      > - SESSION_CACHED_CURSORS = 500
      >
      > Sun has not published recommended parameters for tools 8.49 yet.
      >
      > Thoughts?
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Bob Joye

    • Bob Joye
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2008
        We were not able to resolve the performance issue with the T2000,
        thus, we put all tiers on the V490 database servers.

        The web and app server processes really do not utilize that much CPU
        when compared to the database and batch processes. At a later date, if
        we want to add another server, we will move the entire PeopleSoft
        stack (web, app and PRCS) to the additional server leaving only Oracle
        running on the db server.

        --- In psftdba@yahoogroups.com, "Giri Mandalika" <giri_mandalika@...>