Oracle DBA access to manage Peoplesoft

  • Chris Grey
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7 11:37 AM
      What database userid does an Oracle DBA use to manage a Peoplesoft
      database?
      What grants does that database userid require?

      Thanks, Chris
    • shajivps
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8 4:12 AM
        Chris,

        DBA can use any administrative account having the "dba" role to
        manage the database. Typically the "SYSADM" schema owner account of
        peoplesoft gets locked down (password owned the security team) since
        finance systems comes under the SOX umbrella. Peoplesoft application
        owners (business users) use internal accounts with high level of
        application privilege. We created support accounts for the
        application support team to debug/support the application. Those
        support accounts are on-request only with a password life of 24 hours.
        These accounts get full DML rights on sysadm schema. Application
        support team's personal accounts gets readonly access. ALL business
        users gets signed on using their LDAP accounts (integrated using
        siteminder single sign-on).

        Hope I have answered your question.

        Regards,

        Shaji.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8 4:41 AM
          PSA: Salary <> Slavery. If you earn a salary, your employer is renting your services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be recovered, so don't waste it by giving it away.

          I work to live; I don't live to work.

          "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you." -- Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

          It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -- William G. McAdoo

          Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca

          "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

          I would agree with much of what you said, however, as a PeopleSoft application admin,
          I use sysadm for my work, as does the rest of the PSA team, and there is no SOx
          implication. I also clone VP1 for inside the application. We have open "read only"
          access for the development team in production so they can debug/support. Developers
          should never have DML in a production system - only select.

          hthttp://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_packup_042008