RE: PeopleSoft DBA Forum different versions of tools on the same machine

  • Bob Ellis
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 11, 2007
      Yep. What the dragon said.

      Robert Ellis
      PSE Data Security GmbH
      http://www.psedatasecurity.com

      -----Original Message-----
      From: psftdba@yahoogroups.com [mailto:psftdba@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      the dragon
      Sent: 11 September 2007 12:40
      To: psftdba@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: PeopleSoft DBA Forum different versions of tools on the same
      machine

      I respectfully disagree. It's possible to have multiple versions on a NT
      server; how else would upgrades be accomplished on a windows server that has

      multiple environments? Been there, done that without issues.

      services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the
      only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be

      "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you
      can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people
      spend it for you." -- Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

      It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -- William G. McAdoo

      Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and

      by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca

      "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because
      I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

      ----Original Message Follows----

      Not on Windows process sched because of registry
      settings/Tuxedo versions.

      UNIX no problem.

      --- Steve <steve.montgomerie@...> wrote:

      > Good day,
      > Is it possible to have two versions of tools on the
      > same machine like 818 and 849. We're
      > doing the upgrade thingie and the developers will
      > have to have bother versions somehow.

      Get a FREE small business Web site and more from MicrosoftR Office Live!
      http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0930003811mrt/direct/01/

      PeopleSoft for the Oracle DBA is published by Apress - see
      http://www.psftdba.com
      The PeopleSoft DBA Forum is managed by http://www.go-faster.co.uk

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 11, 2007
        Afterthought - I currently have four versions installed on my PC (8.17,
        8.41, 8.47, 8.49), and have had up to two installed on a server - never
        needed to go to a higher count there. Where it gets funky, sometimes is
        with network installs.

        services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the
        only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be

        "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you
        can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people
        spend it for you." -- Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

        It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -- William G. McAdoo

        Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and
        by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca

        "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because
        I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

        ----Original Message Follows----

        Not on Windows process sched because of registry
        settings/Tuxedo versions.

        UNIX no problem.

        --- Steve <steve.montgomerie@...> wrote:

        > Good day,
        > Is it possible to have two versions of tools on the
        > same machine like 818 and 849. We're
        > doing the upgrade thingie and the developers will
        > have to have bother versions somehow.

        Kick back and relax with hot games and cool activities at the Messenger
        Caf�. http://www.cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_SeptHMtagline1
      • Montgomerie, Steve (SSL US)
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 11, 2007
          I should have been more specific. This would be in regard to the desktop tools only - App, Designer, Data Mover
          that will sit on the developers client workstation. I'm not considering having two version of tools for say process scheduler on the same machine.

          Steve

          Steve Montgomerie
          PeopleSoft/Oracle Administrator
          SIEMENS Shared Services, LLC
          4400 Alafaya Trail, M/S AL-999
          Orlando, FL 32826
          Phone: 407 487-5219
          Cell : 407 925 4179
          Fax: 407 487-5850

           No great thing is created suddenly. —Epictetus (A.D.200)

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 11, 2007
            Steve,

            The answer is still the same - As I stated in a subsequent post, my laptop
            contains local installs of tools 8.13nn, 8.41nn, 8.47nn and 8.4904. They
            all play happily together - you just need to remember that there is only
            *ONE* config file, so you have to change the values in the config file to
            point to the correct PS_Home when you change or flakiness occurs. It's even
            more pronounced when you use network installs vs local installs.

            services for 40 hours a week, not purchasing your soul. Your time is the
            only real finite asset that you have, and once used it can never be

            "Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you
            can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people
            spend it for you." -- Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

            It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -- William G. McAdoo

            Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and
            by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca

            "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because
            I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

            ----Original Message Follows----

            Thanks,
            I should have been more specific. This would be in regard to the desktop
            tools only - App, Designer, Data Mover
            that will sit on the developers client workstation. I'm not considering
            having two version of tools for say process scheduler on the same
            machine.

            Steve

            Steve Montgomerie
            PeopleSoft/Oracle Administrator
            SIEMENS Shared Services, LLC
            4400 Alafaya Trail, M/S AL-999
            Orlando, FL 32826
            Phone: 407 487-5219
            Cell : 407 925 4179
            Fax: 407 487-5850

            No great thing is created suddenly. -Epictetus (A.D.200)

            Can you find the hidden words?� Take a break and play Seekadoo!
            http://club.live.com/seekadoo.aspx?icid=seek_hotmailtextlink1
          • ashley279449
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 11, 2007
              Hi Steve,

              You might also need to check if there is any conflict between the
              different PeopleTools versions, such as the ODBC drivers.

              Regards,

              Ashley